Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Always been curious of the 1500 wing after owning my mint 1200A for one year. Never dreamed that the bike I always scoffed at in my youth was actually a sport touring hot rod !
I'm 60 now and was starting to get annoyed by the 1200 harsh front end however.
( progressive springs, ATF. )
Drawn to a local dealer after reading add for a 94 SE 1500 , 8k original miles , $3499 !
After almost droping my left nut hoisting it off it's sidestand, off I went on a test drive.
What a tank was my first impression, but soon I was amazed by the comfort and smoothness. My 1200 seemed crude in comparison.
I was given $1700 trade in and sadly gave up my 1200 for the 1500 . ( my bike and $2100 got me basically a new 94 1500 SE )
I say sadly because my 1200 A was so mint and low miles, and is so damn responsive and light ....... joy to drive, but wife would never let me keep both like I wanted to.
Well, this was only a week ago and I am getting used to the 1500 slowly but surely.
Started pulling off and detailing all those crazy plastic covers, expecting to find Jimmy Hoffa , but thankfully no surprises except for a little crud here and there.
Cleaned up the chrome exhaust and engine guard pitting ( with 8k orig miles this bike, it had to have sat for long stretches) using kerosene and brass wool, followed by tried and true turtle wax chrome polish in the familiar green bottle.
The centerstand feet are rusty but the bike is mint otherwise.
Need to figure out how to hook up my iphone to the radio , put on some hyway pegs and install a usb power source.
Cruising along in 5th is bliss. Reverse is a Godsend. (I'm 5' 9" in Carolina boots 160 lbs and 60 years young )
Now, after riding for 40 plus years and recently retired, I finally understand and welcome all this comfort with open arms.
Now if they only could invent a gizmo that would help lever this beast off it's side stand 馃槉

Attachments

Premium Member
Robbie, Welcome . At 5'7 I understand your situation with raising the bike from the side stand. Have you checked the air pressure setting in the rear suspension? Lowering the pressure may lower the bike a bit and make it closer to verticle when on the stand. The stand may be bent , allowing the bike to lean excessively.
Another option would be to lengthen the side stand and inch or so. Try uprighting the bike with a piece of 1x4 under the foot. Try a 1/2" chunck of plywood or a 2x4 to see how much you want to change the tip point.
My solution when riding the 1500 solo was to swing my leg over and use that momentum to stand the bike up as I sat down . Kind of one fluid motion of mounting and standing the bike up if that makes any sense.
Its a great bike as I am sure you are learning.

Administrator
My solution when riding the 1500 solo was to swing my leg over and use that momentum to stand the bike up as I sat down . Kind of one fluid motion of mounting and standing the bike up if that makes any sense.
That's the same method I use. I have progressive suspension which jacks my 1800 up about an inch. I just drop onto the seat and stand the bike up in 1 motion.

Moved this to the general forum, no technical question in it.

Administrator
I put my right foot down on the peg and sling all my weight in that direction.
helps out quite a bit.
it is all a matter of practice.

I use the center stand as much as possible though, makes it a lot easier.

Registered
Now if they only could invent a gizmo that would help lever this beast off it's side stand 馃槉

Put a sidecar on it - then it'll ALWAYS be upright, ready to ride! I've never even moved my side stand, and only used the center stand to lift the rear tire off the ground when I changed it...:grin3:

Registered
Hockey puck cut to the same contour as the side stand foot is a good fix. Use screws to attach and replace. I'm 6'2" and my 1500 is sometimes at an angle that gives me a workout as well.

Registered
Try a ride off stand, ive fitted one recently & its easy, just remember to leave it in reverse if its not flat ground.

Registered
I have a back rest on my bike so I lean back and slide my leg over the front seat, then put my foot on the right peg when I'm sliding on the seat gives me leverage to lift the bike up with the handle bars. All one motion. I'm taller so I don't know if this would work for you but I'm older. Ha Ha!

Administrator
you mentioned highway pegs....
I am not fond of the solid mounted ones that can catch the pavement if you lean over too far, and send you down the road sliding.

these are the best I have ever used. Mick-O-Pegs www.ridingiswonderful.com
it is best to call them on the phone, they will ask you pertinent questions about how you ride, as there are different models that may, or may not suit you.

They spring up away from the road when you slide your foot back off of them.

Here, you see it sprung way up against the engine case.... when you foot is on it,
it slides down towards the road, allowing your legs to stretch out straight ahead and down.

Most comfortable "highway pegs" I have ever used.

Registered
Need to figure out how to hook up my iphone to the radio
Robbie G,

I hook up my iPhone with one of these on my 88'. Have for years.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/RCA-AH600R-Car-Cassette-Adapter/dp/B000BUN79K[/ame]

Not necessarily that brand. Shove the cassette adapter into the drawer on the left side of the radio and run the
cable to the pouch on the left. That's where I keep the phone. Select cassette with the button on the top left.
Works like a charm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts