Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a Bunkhouse Camper with electric hydraulicdisc brakes taking a trip in couple days want to hook brakes up... no time to buy trailer isolator so whats my choices should i hook to the existing brake circuit? brakes pull up to 20 amps so imay have to increase fuse size .....any better ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Use a relay.

Wire the trigger to your bikes brakes, and a fused wire from the bikes battery to the relay, and then the relay to the trailers brakes.

This way there is almost zero drain on the bikes wiring/lights/fuses, and all the trailer power is taken from the battery through its own fuse and wiring.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

bentley1 wrote:
where do i get the relay??
Any auto parts store will have them. I would suggest you get a second one for back-up.

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

If you are going to the trouble of putting in a relay in the circuit, why not just put in a trailer brake controller. It would allow you to adjust the amount of drag you get from the brakes, take the power from the battery and give you the ability to JUST use the trailer brakes in you need to.

A real low entry level Tekonsa (sp?) from an RV shop cab be bought for about $40.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

Use caution attempting to wire a brake controller on light wieght trailer. Make sure it is an adjustable gain unit. Not just a time delay. As light as a bike trailer is the brakes will lock up very easy. You will need to be able to turn the gain way down. And don't ever hit the manual slide button. It will instantly lock the brakes. I wire these units in almost dailey and would not consider doing brakes on my bike. I would rather haul less and not need the brakes.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

The adjustable gain controller is worth the extra money. And a separate battery on the
trailer is handy too. Finding extra-wide mirrors is the hard part.

:ROFL:

Attachments

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

gido wrote:
The adjustable gain controller is worth the extra money.  And a separate battery on the
 trailer is handy too.  Finding extra-wide mirrors is the hard part.

:ROFL:
Oh but the comfort!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.