Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a trailer connector on my bike that has 6 or 7 wires on it. I am looking at a new trailer with a standard 4 wire connector. Can this be made to work or should I just stick with my current trailer? Thanks for any help. The bike is a 88 GL1500

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Yes you can make it work. There are loads of scematics to be seen on the web, but as far as I remember it's just a matter of joining the seperate ground wires together, same with the tail lights and brake lights. That makes your 7 wires into 4.

·
Registered
371 Posts
imported post

You need a taillight converter.
You can get one at Wally World or your local auto parts store.
Problem is, the Wing, like most Japanese imports, uses separate circuits for the turn signals and the brake lights, whereas most American stuff runs the turn and stop on the same.
The converter will take care of this for you, just follow the instructions.
Mine was on the bike when I got it. It's small and flat and lays in the trunk under the cargo pad. Very inconspicuous.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
imported post

I had to put a converter on mine as well. They make one that has the converter right in the plug. Therefore you don't have to find a place to hide it really. I bought my bike with the plans of a trip that same evening, and found that the existing trailer harness would not work with my trailer. I installed the converter in about 5 minutes while in the walmart parking lot on the way out of town. It works great. I don't recommend doing it in a parking lot, but I am just saying it is possible and doesn't take long.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.