Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok, so I'm looking at getting a hitch for my wing and I would like to know a few things. The two that I'm looking at are the Add-On (AO451806) and the Bushtec V2. Now for the questions.

1. Does anyone know the maximum weight for either of these hitches?

2. I know that the Add-On is mounted on the frame for the saddlebags and the bushtec is not, would that cause any issues such as the ability to handle more weight? (I understand that neither one is a class 3 or anything, but it would be helpful in making the decision).

3. Would either one work well with a harbor freight trailer (does anyone have this type of setup)?

4. If I decide to go with the bushtec v2, does anyone have install pics or know where I can get some to help with the install?

Thank you guys and if I can get at least a few answers soon, that would be great.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

neither website has the specs for either hitch that i saw. :(

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
imported post

I've had the V2 on mine for over 4 years and am very happy with it. As I remember I got it because most of the "experts" at the time said it was asturdiermounting system than the others. I installed it myself with the instructions provided.

I don't believe capacity will be an issue. There are people out there towing small pop up campers that will weigh more than you HF set up.I believe the standard is no more than 40 lbs on the hitch. Load the trailer a little heavier in front of the axle.

I actually called the Bushtec folks and told them what I had and what I was towing and they helped me decide. Nice folks.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
imported post

Here's a link to pics of the Bushtec hitch instal: http://goldwing.eurekaboy.com/hitch.htm

I bought the Rivco hitch and will put it on when the weather improves. Got this one because it attaches to the frame only, at 4 points. The Bushtec should be quite robust with 4 frame points and 2 other attachment locations. The Rivco is all aluminum and the whole thing including the aluminum ball is about 8 pounds.

Just my opinion, but it looks like the Rivco and Bushtec are among the best, although lots of people use other brands with no problems, but for only a hundred bucks or so I like to think I've got something that's well worth every extra dollar of investment.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

ok, so another question. I'm not planning on towing that much weight with this either way, but wouldn't the Add-on hitch (that's attached to the saddle bag frame) be limited by the same weight as the saddlebags? I looked at the installation instructions with the pictures for the Add-on and it seems like it does bolt on to at least 2 points on the frame which are underneath one of the same places that the saddle bags are bolted onto. the problem that I have with it is that most of the weight is placed on the saddlebag frame itself.

Another thing is that with the Bushtec I don't entirely know if it will clear my tire since I'm a darksider. anyone out there with this hitch running a CT.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
imported post

I can't address the question of clearance for a car tire. Apparently the Rivco sits quite high behind the tire and the drawbar goes through the fender whereas some others seem to go very low so the drawbar can slip in under the fender. Rivco boasts that the hitch in no way interfers with tire changing, but you would have to ask around about tire changing techniques with other hitches.

Static weight is one thing, but the forces from the trailer in real world driving can add up to quite a few pounds of pressure. While investigating which hitch to buy, quite a few people expressed concern about hitches that weren't connected directly to the frame. Even a small trailer with a light load can quickly get to be 300 lbs or more total weight that the bike has to haul around.

Again, I'm not knocking any of the other hitches out there, but for the few extra dollars I feel I'm buying some piece of mind.

Regards,

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I have the same concern with the Add-On hitch. I would feel better about the Bushtec because it attaches to 4 parts of the main frame. I want the Bushtec but if it's not going to fit with my choice of tire, then I'm not going to be able to get it. After all, I will be using the tires more. I don't like the rivco simply because you have to cut a piece of the back fender to make it work. otherwise I might consider that. I'm still not sure how it would work with the tire changing because from what it looks like, it's all one piece.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
imported post

I'm a darksider, also. Currently running the Kuhmo 195. there are no problems with clearance but to change the tire I raise the bike on a lift and drop the tire out the bottomrather than put it on the center stand and remove the rear fender. Others lay the bike on it's crash bars and pull the tire. With either of these methods you don't have to remove the hitch.

My bike is an 07 with comfort/nav.
Edit: I forgot to mention that I deflate the tire to install it; makes it easier to slide up in there.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

You will need to check the width of the opening for sure if you are using a car tire. I have a Dauntless hitch (frame mounted) and when I put went dark side I had to deflate the tire and soap it up to slide it in past the bars on the "Left Side" as seen from the back.

I also have an 04 and now have over 60,000 miles towing my trailer. I limit the tongue weight to 10% of the trailer weight....about 25 - 30 lbs. This last summer we towed it to Alaska and back with no issues.

Enjoy the trailer.

Henry

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

robw,
I'm assuming your talking about the Bushtec? I have a 195 on there as well, (Goodyear not Kuhmo). How much clearance do you have at the corners of your tire? Is it close? How do you feel about the quality of the hitch?

I really do appreciate the help with this.

On a side note, I just saw something called a swivel hitch. it's an interesting concept but I'd rather not. lol.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
imported post

I'm not available to actually measure the clearance. All I can say for now is it is not an issue.

I believe it is an excellant hitch. I've probably towed a total of 25,000 miles with no issues. Mine is a homemade trailer so I use a ball, not the Bushtec Heim joint hitch. Something you'll want to make sure the Bushtec folks know. I also got the wiring isolator from them. Like I said give them a call, they are very knowledgeable and friendly.

A lot of people recommend a swivel hitch because it will allow the trailer to flip over in an accidentrather than twist the bike hitch and frame or cause greater loss of bike control. I've never used one but I suppose it is a good idea. My trailer will "twist" nearly 45 degrees before it puts strain on the ball and I figure that's good enough. Besides if the trailer did bounce on one side enough to possibly flip over perhaps my tire would came back to the ground saving me trailer damage. You'll probably get loads of opinions on this.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Well, for right now, it's more $ out of my pocket for the swivel hitch, but it would mount right up to the Bushtec. Thanks again, and I'm going to order the Bushtec soon. I just want to look over some other things before I complete my order. Again, Thank you for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Got the hitch installed, the pics are here:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/125716-3.html

the install wasn't too bad, it took me about 3-4 hours and most of the work was by myself in about 20-34 degree weather. Now for the electrical. I can't wait to test it out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.