Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Goldwing riders I am trying to get suggestions on how to run my trailer harness on my bike 2007 goldwing I will not be leaving the ball on it when I'm not using my trailer so looking for a way that the harness will still looking neat any suggestions would be very helpful or maybe pictures Thanks

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
I used a six pin plug that came with a mounting bracket. It has a flip down cap on it that covers the pin holes when not in use.

·
Administrator
27,920 Posts
I have my trailer plug mounted up behind the fender on the trailer hitch so it does not show at all.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
Same here Dave, except I used a 7 pin unit so I could run power to charge a battery in the trailer. I also used an isolator harness so I am not putting a load on the bikes lighting system for the trailer, the isolator uses a direct link to the battery (switched on and off with power) and the lights turn on and off relays in the isolator,

The 7 wire system I use is RT Turn, Left Turn, Brake, Running Lights, Lighting Ground, +12V for Charging, Ground Line for Charging. I probably could have used only one ground but I didn't want the charging circuit to affect the lighting.

The wiring is standard except I use the "Electric Brake pins" as my charging circuit. I put a relay powered by the AUX connection on the bike to cut power to the trailer when starting or when turning the bike off. There is a 30 Amp fuse inline with the relay to protect the bike any issues with the trailer..
Henry.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very interesting my lights on my trailer are all LED besides putting a few in line on the hot do I need to be concerned about the load on the bike

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
LED's draw very little current. If your entire trailer has LED's it will probably draw less current than 2 standard tail lamps.

I still like to isolate the trailer with a isolation harness in case something happens to the wiring and you short out the circuit. With the trailer isolated from the normal lighting circuit you wont burn up the bike wiring if it shorts.

Henry

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
You won't burn up the wiring only blow a fuse, and if all you are running is LED lights I wouldn't got to the trouble of using anything more than the bikes light circuits.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
Good points Stu, especially on the 5wire/4wire converter.

You won't burn up the wiring only blow a fuse, and if all you are running is LED lights I wouldn't got to the trouble of using anything more than the bikes light circuits.
As with everything it all depends on the level of risk you are willing to accept and the reliability you are looking for. In 46 years of working on electrical/electronic/computer/missile/pneumatic/etc systems I have seen lots of problems occur that could easily have been prevented by being a bit more cautious. I hate doing things twice that is why I tend to do things right the first time, and I hate being broken down out on the road..... one of the reasons I have a wing. Please bear in mind my aversion to these things when you look at my replies as I may be a bit more cautious and somewhat more anal than most when it comes to wiring my bike.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you once again your suggestions and comments are greatly appreciated this not only saves me time money and the ability to do it right the first time which is always a great plus especially now that it is time to ride

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.