Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I couldn't post a picture of my bike because it said it was too big and I don't care to learn how to shrink it, so let me just explain my problem. I have a 96 SE and want to mount a trailer hitch. Around the entire bottom of my saddlebags and backside I have a chrome lightbar that lowers things about 2" or so. I don't want to remove the additional lighting as I have ground effects lights behind it too and it shows up amazing at night. BUT will this light bar be in the way of mounting a trailer hitch since it lower things down from stock. Would I have to cut and modify the bar? All I want it for is to carry a cooler rack. Thanks. CycleMax has a great price on the hitch and rack and I reall ywould like to do it.

Al

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Hi Predator i have the same hitch fitted but i dont have the same light railif you look under the bike to the frame that carries the saddlebags it bolts directly under the saddle bag rail (flush)it also comes with U bolts to fit to same dont see why you cant add spacers to make up the differance if need bethe same with the clamps that fit onto the rear crash bars

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

If you're saying that its close to your body, I would have to shim out 2" to 2 1/2" down to get clearance. That's pretty low. I don't know I never saw a hitch in person on a bike. I contacted Gary at Cyclemax and asked him if he knew about the situation. I was thinking that maybe the rail could be notched. You know, I see you have an e-mail listed, i'll send you a picture of what I have and tell me in comparison to yours if you think it would work.

Al

PS I hope his comes to you, it will be an attachment, I've had nothing but problems with Vista since I got it and half of the stuff that worked at the blink of an eye with XP won't work now.

Look for an e-mail

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Hi Al just got in long day from what i can see if the light rail does not go below the saddle bag your ok and if it does you still have about a 1in to play with , you will have to make a hole in the mud flap to insert the hitch

Attachments

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hey thanks for the picture....I don't even want to know how you did that. I'm so screwed up with Windows media Player, thats about all my brain can handle right now. But all of that chrome rail you see is all under the saddlebag and like I said its got to be 2" or better.. I'm gonna buy the hitch and just notch out the rail in the back if I need to. I waiting for Cyclemax to tell me if they have one in stock so I can go get it. Thanks for the help though.

Al

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.