Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just ordered a new Trailer Hitch Rack from one of our sponsors and I was wondering if anyone has done what I intend to do? If you look at the pic below you will see a mounting bracket that is designed to go under the trailer hitch ball so that you can slide the rack in when needed (nice). However, my trailer does not have a good Ice Chest Rack installed on the tongue so I thought I would make a similar bracket and install it onto the tongue of my trailer. In other words, a dual function rack. What this will allow is for me to pull my trailer to a destination (say a campground) with the rack on the tongue and then transfer the rack to the bike and use it during some of my day rides (without the trailer hitched up).

What do you think?

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Sounda like a good plan, let us know how it works out. With Pics please.

·
Bringer of Shenanigans
1,031 Posts
That sounds like a cool idea. And we will need lots of pics.

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sure I'll have to fabricate something to make sure that it is held securely to the trailer tongue. Pictures will be forthcoming once I get it in hand (later this week) and I'm able to work out the design.

·
Premium Member
1,672 Posts
I already use this rack. I rigged some aircraft cable with small turnbuckles from the back corners to the helmet hooks, and fabricated a 1 inch nylon web harness with cinch straps custom fit to a full sized 28 inch suitcase. The cables provide support so that it doesn't sag under the weight and it worked out great for a 2 week ride. However...(always the up side before breaking the bad news) I found that mounting that bracket under the tongue allowed the back end of the rack to scrape hard coming down standard incline curb cuts. Mounting it above the tongue elevated it enough that it didn't drag. Unfortunately the bracket mounted above tongue interfers with the hitch coupling. I suspect the workable solution which would allow quick change use with the bracket below the tongue, would be to fabricate an inch or three upwards offset into the square stock at the front of the rack.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I agree with the last post. You could use a different tounge that raises it up. I made my own rack for a toolbox and lifted it up by welding it to a 'dedicated' tounge.

Also, keep in mind that you will have support from the trailer's tounge, so mounting will be easy because you don't REALLY need to make a 'similar' bracket. You can litterally just drill a few holes, use some carage bolts, and a flat plate under the trailer tounge.

Bill

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
I have just ordered a new Trailer Hitch Rack from one of our sponsors and I was wondering if anyone has done what I intend to do? If you look at the pic below you will see a mounting bracket that is designed to go under the trailer hitch ball so that you can slide the rack in when needed (nice). However, my trailer does not have a good Ice Chest Rack installed on the tongue so I thought I would make a similar bracket and install it onto the tongue of my trailer. In other words, a dual function rack. What this will allow is for me to pull my trailer to a destination (say a campground) with the rack on the tongue and then transfer the rack to the bike and use it during some of my day rides (without the trailer hitched up).

What do you think?

I did the exact same thing on my trailer. And when I wanted to go without toting the trailer, I used exact same hitch rack.

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
I'm sure I'll have to fabricate something to make sure that it is held securely to the trailer tongue. Pictures will be forthcoming once I get it in hand (later this week) and I'm able to work out the design.
What I did was drill a hole through the rack and the tongue of the trailer on one side, and then on the other I just used a piece of angle iron and drilled a couple of holes through the other side of the it to mount it on my tongue.

(3) 4 inch long 1/4 20 inch bolts did the trick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.