Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I did a quick search here, but didn't find things out to my satisfaction.

For the 1500 owners: do you have a brand recommendation for a trailer hitch, and how hard/easy is the installation?

I'm no mechanic, but I've been into my bike all winter....from front and rear speaker installation to changing out oil, air and gas filters, spark plugs, etc....I'm learning. With that as the basis of my experience, though........should I attempt to install the hitch? Do the saddlebags have to come off, and is that a huge pain?

Thanks for any and all opinions......we all have one, y'know.....:D

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
imported post

from what I have seen they are all pretty much simular/same. Mine is a markland receiver type, there are platform hitches also like the older bikes had. I have one my venture they are ok. With some creativity a guy could make into a receiver but............

Anyhow, these can be found readily on ebay and some of the other auction sites, used to run up to a couple of hundred dollars but now are prety cheap. If you find one not sure of it post a link so folks can see if its actually for the bike. I have seen some advertised fitting all year models when they are not.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks guys......have seen the various models, even had a winger nearby offer to build one for me. Mainly wondering on successes and complaints on various models. You do have to drop the saddlebags?

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

no it justs bolts onto the saddle bag rails under neath and the back crash bar you dont even have to jack the bike

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Well, thank you, I'm SOLD! :action:

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,918 Posts
imported post

Next step: wiring.

Here is a repost of mine from September.

Hi, I got my hitch just last month. It seems used ones were hard to come by. I bought the hitch and wiring harness from http://www.cyclemaxohio.com. It only took a day or two to get it. It was highly recommended from here.

This is the hitch itself. It is $146.00:
http://www.cyclemaxohio.com/inc/sdetail/628

This wiring harness will let you just unplug the plugs to your back lights and the just plug this harness in without cutting any wires. It is $16.00:
http://www.cyclemaxohio.com/inc/sdetail/195

We then bought an adapter/Isolator from uhaul for $39.95. This was needed because the Goldwing uses separate turn signals and brakes and our trailer used a common bulb for turn signals and brakes with a flat 4 connector. It also gets its power directly from the battery so if there is a problem with the trailer lights it doesn't bring the bike down:
http://store.uhaul.com/product_detail.aspx?id=4074

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

DRod, you da man!

Thanks for all this great information, love this forum and it's helpful members!

Mana for you!

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Is there a wiring harness for the 1200 by chance? IMy new trailer has the 5 prong flat type but will work with the 4 prong.

Thanks, Ray

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,918 Posts
imported post

Hi Ray, I saw your post and searched and couldn't come up with anything. Cyclemax Ohio only puts it on the web if they have it in stock so maybe it does exist but is out of stock. Maybe call or email them. If I run across one for you I will post it.

Dennis

·
Life Time Premium Member
3,918 Posts
imported post

Hey flashya2, Miners might not agree with your signature line.

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

D-Rod wrote:
Hi Ray, I saw your post and searched and couldn't come up with anything. Cyclemax Ohio only puts it on the web if they have it in stock so maybe it does exist but is out of stock. Maybe call or email them. If I run across one for you I will post it.

Dennis
Thanks D-Rod:action:

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

LOL D-Rod.......well, NO offense to them, but I'm glad I'm not a miner!

Or even a minor.........

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
imported post

while on the subject, I found a shop with two hitch's for a 1200. I do not know is $150. a good price or not?? Each not both.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.