Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was wondering what kind of trailer hitches everyone likes?I am going to start pulling a small harbor freight special !!with the cargo box on top for camping gear and such.Please give some idea what works well,and anyone having one laying around that wants rid of it send me a PM I would be glad to pay for it.Thanks for all the great advice on my wing so far.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
449 Posts
imported post

Several here have made their own hitches, (I am working on mine now)That might be your best option.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I was also wondering if the height of the hitch was a problem for anyone?The one shown on here is a fixed height and I agree it`s a greatdeal ,but I have towed RV trailers and know hitch heigth is always a concern.Trailers usually sway if there nose-up.I was looking at the harbor freight trailer with the 8`` wheels or the 12`` not sure what to buy yet.Thanks Keep up the great advice coming.
 

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
Joined
·
60,205 Posts
imported post

12" wheels IMO also.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
21,185 Posts
imported post

Not knowing your markets very well I would only add that a receiver hitch can be good if you wish to add something like a rack instead when not towing the trailer.

:waving:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,183 Posts
imported post

I used the 12" wheels too. I didn't measure before installing my hitch, but with the 12" wheels, my trailer tongue is very level with the ground. Highly recommend you add length to the tongue as well...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,801 Posts
imported post

When you get the HF trailer, make sure you re-pack the bearings that come with it, as the Chinese manufacturer doesnt put much more than Vaseline in the bearings.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,509 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
138 Posts
imported post

I too am going to get a trailer and from the reviews i read on Wingstuff, all the hitches except the Bushtec sounded like a lot of trouble to install or very poor directions, I want to install it myself as the dealer where I just got my new 09 has already disappointed me as far as their service dept. goes, I dropped it off Wed morning and was told it would be done possibly the same day or Thursday for sure, here it is Friday 3:30 pm and they arent done yet and they close at 5, I think they suck
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I`m thinking of making my own hitch (reciever style)one fellow winger sent up some plans and for the money ,I think I might try it.As for a dealer I try and do all my own stuff.But this is on an 1988 not an 09` our local honda shops are both very good and would not hesitate taking mine there if money was no object.That being said does anyone know how much the cheapie trailers are going for at the local harbor freight stores now? I may go this weekend and get a trailer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,509 Posts
imported post

T-rev wrote:
I`m thinking of making my own hitch (reciever style)one fellow winger sent up some plans and for the money ,I think I might try it.As for a dealer I try and do all my own stuff.But this is on an 1988 not an 09` our local honda shops are both very good and would not hesitate taking mine there if money was no object.That being said does anyone know how much the cheapie trailers are going for at the local harbor freight stores now? I may go this weekend and get a trailer.
This is the one we most use on here. It's regular price on-line is now $249.99 US. It doesn't go on sale much anymore like when I got mine last year for 189.99. Store will honor the on-line price, so if it goes on sale on the web but not in the store then print out the sale page from the site and take it to the store with you.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90153

 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
129 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
T-rev wrote:
I`m thinking of making my own hitch (reciever style)one fellow winger sent up some plans and for the money ,I think I might try it.As for a dealer I try and do all my own stuff.But this is on an 1988 not an 09` our local honda shops are both very good and would not hesitate taking mine there if money was no object.That being said does anyone know how much the cheapie trailers are going for at the local harbor freight stores now? I may go this weekend and get a trailer.
This is the one we most use on here. It's regular price on-line is now $249.99 US. It doesn't go on sale much anymore like when I got mine last year for 189.99. Store will honor the on-line price, so if it goes on sale on the web but not in the store then print out the sale page from the site and take it to the store with you.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=90153

I ordered this trailer this morning. They charged me $11.99 to ship to my home in Texas. I thought this was a mistake on their website so I called and confirmed this was correct. Heck that isabout what it would cost me in gas to drive to the nearest HF store!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,509 Posts
imported post

Now that's cheap shipping for a 2-box item of that size. Good deal. And yes, it's 2 boxes you should look for.
 

·
Old Broad
Joined
·
3,843 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
Now that's cheap shipping for a 2-box item of that size. Good deal. And yes, it's 2 boxes you should look for.
Michael, in your opinion, would those 2 boxes fit into the trunk of a 2002 Camry? It does have a fold down rear seat and is I guess in todays standards classed as a large car.:?:?:?:action::action::action::action::action:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,509 Posts
imported post

Yes, it would as 1 box mainly contains the frame work and the other has the 2 fenders and wheels, as much as I remember.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,801 Posts
imported post

I am pretty sure I brought mine home in my BMW, should be the same size as the Camry.

On a side note, has anyone here made their own hitch? I built one for my V-Star, but I havent crawled under the wing to see what's there.
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top