Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi i am just curious about a couple of states to see if it is required to display your trailer plate on the trailer while traveling in that state.

I keep my plate in my luggage compartment in case they need to see it but i do not have it physically on the trailer as i think it looks gaudy. Here we dont have to display it on the trailer but i am curious about the states listed below.

If your state is not listed and you want to share your states rules please do so, it will help someone someday.

Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, Nevada, Tennessee, and Arizona.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

In Alabama and Georgia, you are supposed to display it. No one does, few even register thier trailers. Cops just don't enforce it much at all. I have them on my trailer for hauling trikes/bikes, but not on my HF trailer I built to drag behind the trike. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
imported post

Texas you have to display it.

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

well i guess i been a lucky pup, i been thru tx at least half dozen times and even had a state trooper behind me at a stop light and never stopped, just lucky i guess.

I guess its because i always thought the rule of your registered state followed you anywhere, so the rule here is that you dont have to and that follows me in every state im in. But i guess its safer to have it on so they dont pull me over for some bs reason if they happen to be having a bad day.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

In Fl it should be displayed . i guess it all depends on how the LEO is feeling that day . Seems to me they are now enforcing for cash flow here in FL .

Other than that come on down the weather is great . Let us know where your gonna be .

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

Also, you are required to follow your own state law, so if you are in iowa, as long as u have everything else in order if you get stopped, you cannot get a ticket for not having a plate as long as that is your home states law....I read this somewhere sorry, but not sure where cuz i checked into this before starting our travels this spring with our new trailer in tow..

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

tmdriverwannabe wrote:
Also, you are required to follow your own state law, so if you are in iowa, as long as u have everything else in order if you get stopped, you cannot get a ticket for not having a plate as long as that is your home states law....I read this somewhere sorry, but not sure where cuz i checked into this before starting our travels this spring with our new trailer in tow..
That depends on the situation. Wisconsin doesn't license private trailers under 16 feet.I've been ticketed twice. First in Minnesota, then a year later in Illinois. In each case, I was ticketed for obstructing the license plate on the bike. They each said it did not matter where I was from, my license plate had to be visible and readable.

My solution was to get a duplicate plate for the bike and mount it on the trailer. Haven't been stopped since.

I guess if I had a trailer plate, I'd hang it. At least when I'm traveling.

·
Premium Member
213 Posts
imported post

Have had several cycle trailers and never had to have a license or display a plate...live in Oregon. If memory serves even a utility trailer towed with PU,van or whatever does not need license if it is under a certain weight...can't remember what that was but I have never had to license a small utility trailer.

Obviously state to state requirements may be different but can't imagine a state requiring a plate or being fined if your home state has no such requirement.

However, strange world sometimes. Good luck.

Polkwing

Polkwing

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,153 Posts
imported post

Oklahoma does not register private trailers.
You can get a title and a plate if you wish, but only commercial users are required to.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
imported post

In Ohio, if its on the roadway, it is registered and licensed and displayed.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

vtxcandyred wrote:
In Ohio, if its on the roadway, it is registered and licensed and displayed.
Same in Pennsylvania

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

In Ca. you will get pulled over and ticketed if it is not displayed.

The only issue I have is we get a small plate for the bike and a regular car size plate for the even smaller bikes trailer.

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

unionjk wrote:

The only issue I have is we get a small plate for the bike and a regular car size plate for the even smaller bikes trailer.
:smiler:It was that way years ago in Minnesota. The guys with one wheeled trailers would sometimes have to turn the plate sideways to fit their trailers. :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
imported post

In Nevada you have to display your plate and we can get eather size plate!! I went with the car size to be better seen!!!

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

In Arkansas, your suppose to have a plate, but I've seen a few trailer without. They just started issuing the motorcycle trailer plates (same size as MC plates)for the small trailers, where asI havea regular sized plate on mine.:smiler:

Gene:action:

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

tmdriverwannabe wrote:
Not according to the LEO that stopped me when I was pulling my camper home right after purchase in wiscowsons... He told me If it is on the road in IOWA it MUST ME TAGGED or you could be fined :readit:

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Hanko wrote:
In Washington if the trailer has a plate it must be displayed.
Also must be iluminated ... white light over plate.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
imported post

unionjk wrote:

Another shout out from Cali... not only are we required to display the standard size plate on tiny trailers... technically we are required to do the mandatory 55mph while pulling these tiny trailers.(Calif is a "dual speed-limit state)I've pushed that one before though.. when I was clipping along at about a happy 72mph..and CHP flew by me.. I don't push it all the time..especially that much.

Also..we have "perm-trailer" registration, which in this case means register every 5 years..which fortunately is fairly cheap.. about $15 or so each time.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.