Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Toying with making a trailer. I have seen some ideas, but really havn't been sold yet. I can not see spending 1500+ for one either. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

Toy'n with the trailer idea, AYYyyyy.. . ..
Do'n it all yourself will save buckeroos.
The following uses car top carriers. They're sturdy and will require just a wash & wax.

Building it out of wood will require adequate blue-collar skills and need attention about every other year.

BasicUSED trailer, maybe $100
Car top carrier, maybe $75
Bike hitch, around $100
Wiring, mmm $25 (don't depend on someone elses' job UNLESS it's already new)
* * * Total about $300.00

New trailer, $300
New car top carrier, $250
New bike hitch, $175
New wiring, $50
* * * Total about, $775

Some nice used ones can be bought for around $400 to $750.
All depends what and how much you're gonna haul.
Small is cute, big is usually ugggaleee.
LOL, check my pix gallery.

http://goldwingfacts.com/forums/gallery_view.php?user=5289&folderid=none

* * * FM

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

I'm going to build a single-wheel trailer over the winter. Something along the lines of what is below (pic from somewhere, ...don't remembver where though).

I'll make my own trailer hitch for it as well.

My plan will use a swingarm rear with a Comstar and probably another set of detachable Hondaline cases in addition to the Thule Sidekick box. Will be as wide as my 'Wing is now when done. I'm thinking of a emergency brake on the trailer. Don't know yet. Still tossing it all around.

Attachments

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

...not the best representation, I cut it out quick. Kinda what I'm thinking about for mine though....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
...not the best representation, I cut it out quick. Kinda what I'm thinking about for mine though....
WOAH NELLY!!

If it's to scale, that's ONE HUGE TRAILER!

Maybebigger than your bike. . . or a car.

Heavens to Mergatroid, maybe sleeps 2 even'n'n'n'n'n.

:raspberry:

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Yep, far from scale... but gives an idea of where I'm heading with my idea. The box is 54" long though.

Found the pic below on some site... I figure that set-up below will be longer than what I'm thinking of but probably not by a whole lot. I think I can compact its length a bit..

Attachments

·
Just one of the guys
4,805 Posts
imported post

One thing to keep in mind about that particular single wheel setup is that about half the trailer weight will be on the hitch. Not a problem if you are going to be carying light weight stuff. If you will be loading it heavier you might want to go with the tire up under the cargo area so the trailer tire carries more of the weight.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

These are both home made along with the trailer hitch on my bike. :action:

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

NCRider51 wrote:
Toying with making a trailer. I have seen some ideas, but really havn't been sold yet. I can not see spending 1500+ for one either. Any ideas?
:?What skillz and time do ya have, and what kinda features are ya thinking about... ?

I've always thought that a homebuilt should reflect your skills and interests allowing you to share your interests by "taking them on the road" with you.

There are quite a few examples of awesome wood-working skills here...and (as above) many 'highly functional' DIY solutions, each kinda show the interests and emphasis of the rider's "other" life...

That said, I enjoy shaping metal and have a fascination with aircraft... (could ya tell?)

Attachments

·
ɹoᴉuǝS ɯoʇsnƆ
2,631 Posts
imported post

FM wrote:
Tossed this together for $250.00
Trailer Ebay, $125
Wood, hardware,$100
New wireing, $25
Hitch, FREE (homemade from stocked pieces)
Howdy FM.

I see there is a pet carrier mounted on the tounge of the trailer. I have been working on my trailer and am installing a pet carrier there as well.

Do you have any issues with exhaust and the pet?

That is my biggest concern.

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

Chewman wrote:
FM wrote:
Tossed this together for $250.00
Trailer Ebay, $125
Wood, hardware,$100
New wireing, $25
Hitch, FREE (homemade from stocked pieces)
Howdy FM.
I see there is a pet carrier mounted on the tounge of the trailer. I have been working on my trailer and am installing a pet carrier there as well.
Do you have any issues with exhaust and the pet? That is my biggest concern.
When we first took Bailey with, he did wine at stops so I shutthe bikeoff if I knew it was going to be a long red-light wait.

Exhaust going towards the petbox is a problem when stopped, thegas lingers around it. While riding the gas goes under the box.

I had turn-down tips but didn't do much good. I'm looking to do something different with the exhaust so it goes out the sides not back or down.

FM

:action:

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

Here's some pics of mine. The frame is 2" square tubing but if I were to do it again, I would go with 1.5". I have a sraight axle with a set of Dodge minivan hubs & 13" wheels the hubs are on a 2" drop adjustable beraket to adjust fgor Camber & camber but thei wqas rteally not nessecary as trailer pulls like a dream. Box is an old box that is about 20 cu.ft. I swapped out the cheapy hinges & locks for more moder unitis from a Tulle box I bought first but was way too small.

:(

·
Friend of Bill W.
1,930 Posts
imported post

Here is my single wheel trailer.

By the way, it is for sale. $300 obo.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Fysty-1, What axle did you use and what year hubs? Do you have any suspension pics?

·
Old Broad
3,843 Posts
imported post

NCRider51 wrote:
Fysty-1, What axle did you use and what year hubs? Do you have any suspension pics?
The hubs are late 80's Dodge/ plymouth minivan and the axle is a Just a square tubel that my welder fited with brackets for mounting the hubs. Springs are 24"3 leaf with 1 leaf removed. Go to my gallery for more pics. Angela:waving::waving::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

I am actually toying with a real winter project. I am looking at buying a rear clip from a Mazda miata and sectioning it . I will use an other axle set up, loose alot of the weight by using the skin and trunk. Don't know yet how to do it but I attached a rear concept of the trailer.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.