Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Can anyone tell me what the laws are in Texas regarding the registration of Motorcycle trailers.

Are Plates required, and if so what is the cost of registration. I just purchased a new trailer, and it is being delivered, and need to know what I need to do.

Thanks KD5WEF

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

kd5wef wrote:
Can anyone tell me what the laws are in Texas regarding the registration of Motorcycle trailers.

Are Plates required, and if so what is the cost of registration. I just purchased a new trailer, and it is being delivered, and need to know what I need to do.

Thanks KD5WEF
Looks like Texas has rather complicated rules regarding trailers. Any trailer used on public roads in Texas requires a license. However Texas doesn't title any trailer of 4000lbs or less.So it looks like you're going to need a license but not a title. You'll need to keep the ownership papers in case you ever sell it to someone out of Texas. Best bet is a call to your DMV.

Here in Oregon any trailer of less than 1500lbs gross isn't licensed or registered.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
kd5wef wrote:

Thanks KD5WEF
Looks like Texas has rather complicated rules regarding trailers. Any trailer used on public roads in Texas requires a license. However Texas doesn't title any trailer of 4000lbs or less.So it looks like you're going to need a license but not a title. You'll need to keep the ownership papers in case you ever sell it to someone out of Texas. Best bet is a call to your DMV.

Here in Oregon any trailer of less than 1500lbs gross isn't licensed or registered.
You're right on Texas. I bought a home made bike trailer in Texas my first time living there, only needed the tag for it, didn't have to title it. Just had to show the bill of sale signed by the seller to get the tag.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Can you tell me abou what it cost for your tags for the trailer

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

kd5wef wrote:
Can you tell me abou what it cost for your tags for the trailer
Nope, that was over 13 years ago and fees just go up over the years. A couple of phone calls will let you know what you have to do and what you need to do it with, or you could just check out the Texas DMV website .

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I wanna say my trailer tag was in the $40 range.... I bought an HF trailer that came with a title. When I went to get tags, I had lost the title, and just told them it was homebuilt. I brought a picture of it with me, in case they questioned the 1500# capacity limit for registration.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

You will need the bill of saleto get a Trailer license registration. You will be asked for empty weight and carrying capacity weight.
You will receivea Texas Trailer license platesimilar to car platesand you will be issued sickers to go on the corner of the plate.

The Trailer license plate is good for seven years, no extra cost when a new license plate is required. You pay for new stickers each year.

My new trailer sticker (Registration) cost me $31.61 in October, good for 12 months.
Registration fee is $27.31; Plate Sticker $0.30; City Road Bridge Add-on Fee $10.00.

City Road Bridge Add-on Fee is determined by the County that you register the trailer in. Most counties in Texas are $10.00, some are $5.00.

If you register a camper motorcycle trailer the cost is higher and you will be issued a Camper trailer license plate.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
imported post

Wichita Scorpion is Exactly right....:( I was going to say that but he beat me to it...LOL... ;)

Kevin E

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

You really do not even need a bill of sale, just say it is a home made trailer. Texas goes by weight. Mine cost $36.95 total. Trailer weight 200bs, carrying weight 300 lbs, Gross weight 500 lbs.

:12red:
Dean

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

...So it looks like you're going to need a license but not a title...
In the great nation of Texas, that is correct.

I bought brand new low-boytrailer build in Texas. It came with a manufacture title, and there was a VIN number.

When I licensed it, Texas does not issue a title transfer. They just requireregistration/tag based on axle weight.

I bought anew HF trailer, and it too came with a manufacture title.

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

I agree with Foosman.........When I bought my Cyclemate CM2000 from a gentleman south of Houston, he gave me the the manufacture title and the car plate (well, it was on the trailer).

Kansas doesn't even require a plate or title.........

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
oklahoma doesn't title or liscence smaller trailers either.... so when mine was stolen I was simply SOL
Neither does South Carolina, trailers here are titled and tagged over a certain gross weight, which standard utility and bike trailers get no where close to.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

and when stolen, they can be easily flipped because there is no title or registration

was a REAL NICE 6x12 single axle flat bed trailer too

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
imported post

Indiana was title and plate. I moved to Michigan this past summer and they took the Ind title and did not give me a new one as in Mich title are not used on small trailers. The plate for Michigan was $75 but that is a permanent plate for as long as I own the trailer, If I ever get rid of the PiggyBacker I will need to buy a new $75 plate again and it does not transfer like the Indiana would.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
imported post

It is 1800 lbs or less in Oregon. The Oregon DMV site will confirm that for you. Neither my utility trailer or motorcycle trailer need to be licensed or titled in the state of Oregon. A friend pulled my utility trailer to Montana on a hunting trip and was questioned about the need for a license...but not in any state he passed through but...Oregon! He was in Lakeview and a local cop stopped him for not having a license on the trailer...and Oregon cop! He explained to him that it was not needed on any trailer 1800 lbs total or less and the cop argued with him. He finally let him go...with a warning! How ironic! That cop sure didn't know the laws of his own state very well!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.