Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering traveling with a trailer. If I took it camping, I would from time to time want to separate from it and leave it at the campsite. How do people deal with this issue? How do you deal with the trailer when staying at a hotel?

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
i lock the hitch in the closed position, if i had to i would lock to a tree

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I have never locked my trailer and have never had any problems. I am more concerned when I am at a motel than I am at a campsite.

Bob

·
Administrator
57,953 Posts
I have lost a few things in my 72 years, can't remember what or when.

I just don't trust anyone farther than I can see them anymore.
Motels are worse than campgrounds it seems, low lifes prowling looking for something to hock for their next drug fix.

I like to have my bike right in front of my room window, then when I turn the lights out, the curtains go wide open. so I can see the bike.

I have intended to put a motion detector on it that will blow the horns if it gets messed with.... good intentions so far.

·
1,613 Posts
In the day i hide it in my tent , in the nigths i even sleep on it ! ( i have a "pop up camper") LOL.
But i only stays at hotels/motels where the bike and trailer is safe , locked in by a fence or locked in a garage or chellar etc.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
When trailers parked on its own i use hitch lock,and a wheel clamp.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
In all the years I camped (30+) we never had anything stolen or had any other issues at CG's... That said, if your concerned, put a tongue lock on the trailer and use a stout chain to chain both tires to a tree, lamp post or other immovable object...

You can only do so much, and nothing will stop a determined thief from stealing what he wants to steal - sad but true...

Les

·
Registered
353 Posts
You can only do so much, and nothing will stop a determined thief from stealing what he wants to steal - sad but true...

Les
He's right. A good friend works at Mercedes (Worth truck plant). The chairman's own company car was stolen from out front of the headquarters. If they want it, it WILL disappear.

No, it was never found.

Cosmo

·
Registered
142 Posts
I always lock the tongue closed, but also the trailer chains get connected to something heavy, my favorite is the nuclear defense picnic table that is heavier than my trailer! Chaining also helps keep things in place if you are in a severe wind storm.

·
Registered
463 Posts
When my wife and I went to Yellowstone last year we stayed at the KOA Campground just outside of West Yellowstone. We locked the ball in the attached position using the padlock we use when towing and then locked the tongue to the post at our campsite using the safety chains. Like others have said there's a difference mentality in campgrounds than when at motels. We lock up in both places but are far more concerned when staying in motels.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.