Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just picked up a Tiny Mite Trailer this summer and am wondering what brand of tires others are using on their bike trailers and what kind of mileage they are getting out of them. This trailer currently has 4.80 x 8 tires on it. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ron

aka Big Brown

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

How do you find the 8" tyres Ron? I'm looking at a trailer to buy and it has small wheels, I'm wondering how they handle on bumpy roads.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

I had a camper with 8 inch tires.

Bought tire and wheel combined for cheap at the local Wal mart for a spare.

Never a problem over thousands of miles.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

When my Kwik Kamp with 8 inch tires needed replacing I went to a tire store and got a pair of 5.70 X 8 tires in a 4 ply rating. Much stiffer sidewalls that the cheap Wal Mart tires I had been using. Made the traler much more pleasant to pull.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
everyday member
514 Posts
imported post

Just finished a 1200 mile ride with my harbor freight trailer with the 480x8's on it and it pulled like a dream. Lowered the air pressure to 22 pounds and had about 200 pounds of stuff in it. Hardly knew it was behind me. Can't imagine it will be to bad just because of lightweight and not hauling it all the time.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,258 Posts
imported post

I have those tires on mine because bigger ones won't fit (fenders). They work fine, but bounce a bit more than others sometimes and a taller tire rolls easier, but they work fine and I towed to Utah at around 70 mph with no issues what-so-ever.
I also run about 20-25 pounds and squirted a couple ounces of anti freeze in each to dynamically balance the wheel (similar to dynabeads).

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

I have a friend who has same size tires on his trailer, he has put over 3k on it this summer with no issues with those tires at all..You should be fine as long as you dont overload the trailer and use correct air pressures..I believe he used around 20lbs in his..

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

I had similar concerns regarding small tires on my trailer. Have put a few miles on mine now in a variety of road conditions, and am feeling much better about 'em. I'm running 23 psi on mine, and it seems about right. Mine has fairly short travel leaf spring/solid axle construction (an old Cycle-Mate) and it doesn't bounce around at all, tracks nicely... as long as I keep the speed down under 75 mph.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for all the feedback, it is not only helpful but greatly appreciated. I am planning a two year run on the bike, hence the need for the trailer and just wanted some ideas/assurance about the tires.

Thanks again,

Ron

aka Big Brown

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
imported post

I have those tires on mine They work fine, , and I towed all over ontario around65 mph with no issues what-so-ever.
it is 500 lb loaded

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.