Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
I sure wouldn't want to be pulling this in strong cross winds on two wheels. A trike would be more my choice pulling this me thinks. Nice looking rig though!

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
The weight would be ok and you could load it to take a few lbs off of the tongue (I limit to 35 lbs tongue weight max) but windy could be an issue.
And I don't know what it would be like pulling with a 4 banger vs a 6 cyl.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Whilst the front is angled the flat back would cause a big drag in the wind when moving, also the sides very susceptible to being pushed around in a side wind. I would prefer to see a pop up version with a lower profile for towing at speed.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
would this be to heavy? it says 300lb, 39ld tounge. nice idea but havent found much info on search.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Small-Light...016?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c2cf5da60
I am in the final stages of completing a home-built Tear that is approximately the same size and weight. I will be towing it to the Michigan UP in June (and will be crossing the Mackinaw Bridge with it).

I am anticipating some 'issues' when riding in a strong crosswind, but there are several guys on a couple of Teardrop forums that have pulled Tears with bikes with no issues. Maybe they haven't ridden in a strong crosswind yet.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
would this be to heavy? it says 300lb, 39ld tounge.....
Yes, I think so. That is, once you figure ALL the cargo you are hauling in and along with it, plus the rider/passenger. My trailer is 165 empty, granted its just for cargo, but when I load it up it gets in the 300 range and that's about all I feel safe pulling (and stopping, lets not forget this) with my 1500.

The weight would be ok and you could load it to take a few lbs off of the tongue (I limit to 35 lbs tongue weight max)......
I see so many posts about tounge weight and what people like to use as an EXACT amount, but every load and trailer are different. Tounge weight SHOULD BE based on a PERCENTAGE of the TOTAL GROSS weight of the trailer. Normally 10 to 15 percent is needed for proper handling and safety.

Bill

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for your inputs. when i replace my 1200 i plan to look for a camping trailer.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
When you get your next one, go for a 6 pack and you will have plenty of torque for most any load. Try to limit your total towing weight to about 450 lbs. or less so inertia doesn't try to overpower your braking and traction. Especially when weather conditions deteriorate.

I know lots of guys get around fine towing with the 4 bangers but my dad had one of the first imported 35 hp VW microbuses (pre-hippy) and although it got around town ok, it wasn't pretty most of the time out on the highways. Lots of shifting and lots of semi's honking up our cracks while going up grades, as I recall. That's not something I would relish the thought of while on two wheels.

thanks for your inputs. when i replace my 1200 i plan to look for a camping trailer.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
I have pulled a trailer that I'm sure most people would have told me to lighten the load. it was heavy and cumbersome. before long I hope to be in the market for A pop up tent trailer. in all my experience my thoughts are on the size of the trailer. at 5' high and 5' wide. that a lot back there.my personal width is closer to 40" it would make it easier when going in and out of parking lots or turning corners. just seems a lot of trailer.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
I pull a trailer frequently with my GL1200. Loaded correctly it pulls just fine.
I have pulled up to 500# no problem, however if you go over 500# then you are really going to feel it back there. Around 350# or so and you will tend to forget it is even there, but if the tongue is too light it will become a safety issue with very bad handling.
I have even loaded my daughters bike and an old dirt bike on my trailer and pulled them behind the wing (one at a time)

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
3 years ago I towed my Kamparoo tent trailer(similiar to a Leasure lite) it's dry weight is 350 lbs and with baggage it is at least 400lbs. I also have a sidecar . There is plenty of power on my '82 GL1100. No problem on almost 5000 mile trip. Trailer did drop mileage about 3-4 mpg.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Yes, I think so. That is, once you figure ALL the cargo you are hauling in and along with it, plus the rider/passenger. My trailer is 165 empty, granted its just for cargo, but when I load it up it gets in the 300 range and that's about all I feel safe pulling (and stopping, lets not forget this) with my 1500.

I see so many posts about tounge weight and what people like to use as an EXACT amount, but every load and trailer are different. Tounge weight SHOULD BE based on a PERCENTAGE of the TOTAL GROSS weight of the trailer. Normally 10 to 15 percent is needed for proper handling and safety.

Bill
Pinto, I'm a new cargo trailer owner, one of those all aluminum jobs. Do you weigh your trailer and tongue weight every time you load up? How to do weigh it? I need some hints. Thanks in advance.

Chief:?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.