Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

It's an 87 and new to me - was thinking from glancing at setup that prev owner had a 5 wire trailer for this Wing.
have 4 wire flat plug plus 2 wires not in it.
checked plug with test light and this is what I have

from R to L:

Red - brake (spade connector)

Flat conn

White - ?? (male conn)

- tail light (fem conn)

-L turn (fem conn)

-R turn (fem conn)

Green - grd (in cable, not connected)

I'm going WTF, the male connector in the plug should be grd. and this White wire that is going to it doesn't seem to be doing anything.
The White wire doesn't seem to have power applied from any of the normal lights, can I safely replace it with the presently non connected grd wire?
Anyone have a clue what the White wire is?

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Runninglights or license plate light?? jimsjinx:?PS... I'm goin through the same stuff on my trike! :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

D-Rod wrote:
My adapter came with an extra wire and it said it was if I wanted to add a light inside the trailer.
I do have this extra switch that PO didn't know what it's for - will try flipping that.

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

sometimes people put in a spare wire for a 12v supply, nothing to do with the lights on the trailer

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Sounds to me like he used to have a 4 wire trailer and went to a five wire trailer and just bypassed his adapter, which makes no sense but anything is possible. Follow th e wires up to see if they go to a little box.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
imported post

I plan on doing 5 wire when I rewire my trailer. Brake lights, running lights, left and right blinker (winker for the Brits) #5 would be for a light inside the lid, or for an electric cooler.

James

·
Old School Guru
7,889 Posts
imported post

Actually, theextra wire is used for the backup lights on the 1500 and as an auxiliary 12v circuit (always hot) for a trunk light (interior light) or a 12v outlet on the other models. (Bet you didn't know the 1500 was wired for BU lights, but it was.) My 1500 had the 6 wire plug, and I was trying to figure out the wiring when I decided to test all the wires, and I found out it was hot when I put the bike in reverse. I guess it is possible to wire it up the same on the 1800, although when I installed the harness on the 1800, I didn't bother to try to wire it up the the reverse circuit, since I don't have backup lights on my trailer anyway. And although I could have wired it to the battery for a constant hot, I didn't need it. So I just have one wire that isn't wired to anything on the 1800.:)

1 wire-(R) Brake lights

1 wire-(Y)R Turn signal

1 wire-(G)L Turn signal

1 wire-(BN)Tail Lights

1wire-(W) Ground

1 wire-(BLU) Aux or BU

I could be wrong on the colors, It has been a while since I did one.:)

Gene:waving:

·
Administrator
26,977 Posts
imported post

GLester wrote:
Actually, theextra wire is used for the backup lights on the 1500 and as an auxiliary 12v circuit (always hot) for a trunk light (interior light) or a 12v outlet on the other models. (Bet you didn't know the 1500 was wired for BU lights, but it was.) My 1500 had the 6 wire plug, and I was trying to figure out the wiring when I decided to test all the wires, and I found out it was hot when I put the bike in reverse. I guess it is possible to wire it up the same on the 1800, although when I installed the harness on the 1800, I didn't bother to try to wire it up the the reverse circuit, since I don't have backup lights on my trailer anyway. And although I could have wired it to the battery for a constant hot, I didn't need it. So I just have one wire that isn't wired to anything on the 1800.:)

1 wire-(R) Brake lights

1 wire-(Y)R Turn signal

1 wire-(G)L Turn signal

1 wire-(BN)Tail Lights

1wire-(W) Ground

1 wire-(BLU) Aux or BU

I could be wrong on the colors, It has been a while since I did one.:)

Gene:waving:
That is the correct wiring scheme for any trailer. Almost, the yellow is left turn and green is right turn.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.