Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have completed a build on my trailer and have the lights hooked up, but I keep blowing a fuse for the tail lights.

I got my volt meter out and tested the plug that was on the back of the bike. It's a round 4 pole. Below is what I was able to find out from my testing.

Top Left - Left turn signal/brake
Top Right - Running lights
Bottom left - Ground
Bottom right - Right turn signal/brake

Does this sound right?

With just the ground and running lights hooked up I blow the fuse. With the turn signal/brake hooked up, the brake light works on the trailer, but the turn signal doesn't.

Obviously I am missing something and my Chilton doesn't talk about the trailer wiring at all. Help!

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Your bike is a five wire (yellow turn signals) system. Unless you have an adapter to go to four wire, that may be your problem. Is your trailer a four wire also or a five wire (yellow turn signals)

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

[align=left]this is standard if it helps[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]Function Color[/align]

[align=left]Running lights BROWN[/align]
[align=left]Brake lights RED[/align]
[align=left]Turn, right GREEN[/align]
[align=left]Turn, left YELLOW[/align]
[align=left]Accessories BLUE[/align]
Ground

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

The trailer is a four wire system and so it the connector on the bike.

There are only four wires in the connector on the bike. So, I would then assume that the case is ground if the bike is five wire?

If so, then I should rerun my ground wire and test from there. That would explain the brake light not acting as a turn signal also based on the way I have it hooked up now. How would that work as the trailer wiring is using the same bulb for both the brake light and turn signal?

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

The four wires on trailer are
1. left turn/brake
2. right turn/brake
3.running light
4. ground
If your bike has only four wires to plug, make sure you have a 5 to 4 wire adapter on the bike.Should be located up under the fender somewhere. If you do not have one of these it could be causing your problem. The ground from your bike has to run to the trailer. The adapter will have the 5 bike wires going into it but only 4 coming out for the trailer. There is a diode in this adapter that keeps power from back feeding into brake lights/turn signals.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

The wiring for the trailer lights disappears up into the unknown between the trunk and the rear tire fender. I pulled the seat and didn't find anything that resembled what you are talking about.

I was told that this towing package was stock on my 1990 GL1500SE. Not sure if that's true, but it doesn't have an after market look to it and the wiring is black tape wrapped just like the rest of the wiring under the seat.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

You will need to trace to the lights. You must have an adapter or the system will not work.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Ok, I have a 3 wire to 2 wire adapter under the seat. One side isn't working any more. I will need to get a new one.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
imported post

Best way to do wiring on 1500. Go to CycleMax Ohio. Trailer plug wire kit $15. Then go to a camper supply store and get a powered trailer tail light converter. Should be around 20 to $25. Adapter connects to factory harmess. 5 wire. Power taillight converter converts to 4 wire. Also uses battery power for trailer lights. Instead of pulling from lights on bike.
By the way Mr V how long you been in Buffalo. Have relatives there.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Been here about 3 years now. We like it and the people are great.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

I just wired up my 1500 for a trailer. I ordered the wiring harness from cycle max ohio, and then bought a 5 pin trailer connector assembly they also have 5 flats. Hooked her right up and runs great however my trailer was built with the taillights and the brake lights seperate( red brakes and orange turns) if it would have been a standard system i would have bought a convertor

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.