Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I apologize for begining a thread that probably has been discussed at length. I did review previous threads on this however had a question not covered previously or at least I didn't find it.

I just assembled a HF Tagalong trailer with the traditional flat 4 wire connector. I also purchased a Kuryakan 5to 4 wire converter with 4 pin flat connector. I also purchased a GL 1500 trailer wire harness with relay.

Do I need to install both of these products or is the Kuryakan 5 to 4 converter all I need? And, where does this wiring modification install? I thought it might be under the seat however it appears to be under the trunk (I think).

Any expert advice is appreciated.

Dan

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

You probably need to PM a moderator and get this thread moved into the Technical forum Dan.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Got the trailer assembled and hitch installed for a 4 day anniversary trip on the Wing to Branson, Missouri with Deb. Need to get this done today as we leave tomorrow. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

If I can't do I guess I can take it to the motorcycle shop and pay someone else to do.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,916 Posts
imported post

You need both. The harness is plug and play that goes under the lower trunk cover and connects to the tail light connectors. I installed the converter under the seat. You can install the converter where ever the wire will reach. Doesn't really matter.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

Thanks Tom. I'll look at it again and see how both of these connect to each other.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

dingdong wrote:
You need both. The harness is plug and play that goes under the lower trunk cover and connects to the tail light connectors.  I installed the converter under the seat. You can install the converter where ever the wire will reach. Doesn't really matter.
Been to several motorcycle shops today and no one seems to know anything about this plug and play harness. Haven't figured how the 5:4 connects to the wring harness with relay. Looks like the trailer will not be towed to Branson tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
imported post

If you could post a picture of the trailer harness and the plug and play harness it would be a big help in helping you.

Have you tried calling the the compamny tech line that made the converter. without knowing what the converter make is and what it looks like makes it hard to give any instructions.

The plug in for the trailer harness is under the left side of the tour box. There were directions that came with the one I bought. Plug the trailer hareness into the bike then into the converter. I guess I should ask will the trailer harness plug into the plug and play harness. Or does the plug and play hareness plug into the bike trailer harness plug?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Thanks guys. Leaving in the morning for Branson on Wing without the trailer. When we get back I'll take some pics of what I've got and get back to this project.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
You said "The plug in for the trailer harness is under the left side of the tour box"

Just need to clarify. When u say left side of the tour box, do u mean underneath the truck on the left side? I'm also assuming "left side" is when you're facing the windshield, right?

Cuz I looked underneath my trunk of my 1500 & I can't see anything that even resembles a plug.

How exactly do u get at it? Do u have to remove anything?

A picture or video explaining things exactly wud b perrfect.

OR: Please free to forward this inquiry to whoever can help more.

Thanx
Thank u

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,703 Posts
You said "The plug in for the trailer harness is under the left side of the tour box"

Just need to clarify. When u say left side of the tour box, do u mean underneath the truck on the left side? I'm also assuming "left side" is when you're facing the windshield, right?

Cuz I looked underneath my trunk of my 1500 & I can't see anything that even resembles a plug.

How exactly do u get at it? Do u have to remove anything?

A picture or video explaining things exactly wud b perrfect.

OR: Please free to forward this inquiry to whoever can help more.

Thanx
Thank u
If your 1500 has not had a trailer hookup installed by a previous owner, you will not find a plug to connect your trailer wiring to.

If that is the case, you will need to purchase an isolator to keep the bike's wiring isolated from the trailer's wiring. That helps to keep the trailer's light load of overloading the bike's OEM wires which are not really heavy enough to support more filament type stop lamp bulbs.

In addition to that, as the Goldwing has a 5 wire setup, the brake lights are not used as turn signals, you will also need to purchase a 5-to-4 wire adapter.

I just went through this in detail on my 1800.
The same isolator and 5-4 wire adapter will work on the 1500.

there is nothing special about it.... , the isolator is set up as a Plug and Play
I'm trying to locate the part numbers, but http://cyclemax.com/gl1500_electrical is currently down for website maintenance. that happens around midnight for a lot of websites.

if you have a few minutes, you can follow through on my journey of fixing up an 1800 after a previous owner had butchered up the wiring.
http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...1800-saga-hooking-up-trailer-light-relay.html

I will upload the documents for the isolator and 5-4 wire adapter here for you to read so you understand what is involved.

there is nothing special about the isolator, it is just 5 relays packaged into a very small footprint and encapsulated. nice job they did.

their website just came up, and it appears that they also have the wiring harness setup for the 1500 plug and play.

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/gl1500_iso_trailer_wiring_harness/129/59647

Item: 45-8945 Add-On
Details:
This is an isolated trailer wiring harness. It is designed to isolate the wiring between the bike and the trailer to prevent electrical feedback into the bike. It also reduces the chance of overloading the bikes taillight circuits. This is a 5 wire harness. If you are using a trailer with a 4 wire system, you will also need to purchase a 5 to 4 converter. This 5 wire harness gets the power for the trailer lights directly from the bike battery. It has four relays that are activated by the bikes factory wiring harness. This plug and play harness will fit on all Goldwing 1500's from 1988-2000.

this is the adapter they refer to:

http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/_5_to_4_pin_trailer_harness_converter_/129/51253

There website is herky jerky right now, and I am having a lot of trouble getting to the documents, but it appears that the same isolator package is used for both bikes.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.