Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I installed a trailer wiring harness with isolation relays made by Add On to my 89 GL1500 this week. The bike lights work fine but the trailer lights don't. When I turn on my left turn signal everything is ok but when I turn on my right turn signal it also flashes my brake lights. If I hit the brakes while the turn signal is on it continues to flash with the turn signal. There is no splicing of wires, Everything is plug and play. I don't have LED'S installed anywhere on the bike. This only happens on the trailer, The bike lights still work fine so I am thinking it is a bad isolation relay in the trailer harness.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Might be. Who did you get it from? Call them or Add-On directly.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Update, I took it off and hooked it up to a power supply and everything worked like it should. I was also able to recreate my problem. Instead of hooking up the ground to the neg side of the power supply, I hooked up the input for the brake relay to the neg side and the right turn signal to the pos side. Both relays pulled in since all 5 relays share the same common ground. So either I have a grounding problem or the wiring harness has the ground in the wrong place. Easiest way to find out is with a volt meter or remove the ground on the harness and run it straight to battery.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Update, I found the problem. I removed the plastic sheathing around the wires going to the right side and found that the blue wire and green wire was crossed. They went in to the sheathing one color and came out the other end another color. They was spliced inside the sheathing wrong. Reversed the wires back and all is good now.

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

Dive into a complete bike wiring harness. You will find many wires that change color inside the harness. It will drive you nuts. Of course a complete wiring road map helps. I make several copies of them and then using a highlighter I actually trace the circuit/s I am working on. Even then you can be fooled as the schematic might show a blue wire in one circuit and a red wire in another circuit when in reality they tap the blue wire into the red wire inside the harness.

Converted a Kawasaki voyager 1200 into the 3 wheel car. When the bike came to me it had all of the tape taken off the harness. 40,000 miles of wire. Finally ended up making my own harness without all of the unneeded circuits. It is surprising how much wire is for lights, radios, cruise control, CB, and who knows what other crap. Did use the instrument panel and had to add 12 ft. of wire to get it up front.

Only big problem was the speedometer which was driven by the front wheel. Solved that with a GPS unit.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
imported post

Wiring can be the pits. I had the correct color scheme, till I got into a wire melting nightmare. Now its pretty colors at the front and mostly blacj everywhere else. God help the next owner. Been thinkiing odoing some labeling and a drawing or two incase the next owner has to get into it.

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Luckily I didn't have to dive into the bikes harness. The mix up was in the after market trailer harness.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

ah wiring isnt hard to do

whats hard is fixing screw ups like he's having or someone doing really bad wiring, but in a perfect world that a "enginner" i talked to once, wiring should never fail but if it should never fail i'd be out of a job

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.