Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I HAVE A 2005 1800 GOLD WING. PUT ON A BIG BIKE ISOLATOR TO TOW TRAILER. TRAILER ONLY HAS 4 WIRES. PUT ON A 5 TO 4 WIRE ADAPTOR FROM HOPKINS ONLY TO GET RUNNING LIGHTS BUT NO BRAKE OR TURN SIGNALS. POWER FROM ISOLATOR GOOD. GROUND GOOD. WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???????????????? ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!1:?:(:?:(:?:(:?

·
Administrator
26,181 Posts
imported post

You will have to get a device to convert the 5 wire to a 4 wire trailer. It is a set of diodes to allow the brake and turn signals to work on the same bulb filament. Either that or add a set of lights to the trailer for either the brake or turn signals.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I DID USE A DIODE ADAPTOR WHEN HAVING THIS PROBLEM

·
Administrator
26,181 Posts
imported post

Well, something else is wrong then. Did you test for power out of the adapter?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

My Hoppy converter/isolator does fine. You need to go back and check your splices where the Hoppy ties into the bikes wiring.

I thought someone made a wiring kit for the 1500's and 1800's that was basically plug and play?

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

yes by big bike isolator is a plug and play and it has power. my hoppy 5 to 4 wire adaptor also check out fine, but when i wire the isolator into the 5 to 4 wire adaptor i only get running lights. ground is also solid. is it possible that i will need to get rid of the isolator and just splice into bike wiring. hope not. really like the isolator because the isolator runs off the battery and not bike electronics

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Put up some links to the devices you're using.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

bigbike parts.com hopkinstowingsolutions.com

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
imported post

I would go back and check or even try a different 3/2 adapter. I work at a rv dealership and have seen several new out of the package that don't work. Also double check you wiring. Make sure you are picking up the brake wire. When I did my 1500 I ordered the wiring tap from CycleMax. and used a 3/2 powered wiring adapter I bought at work.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

THANK YOU GHOST RIDER 2. IT TOOK THREE TAIL LIGHT ADAPTERS BEFORE I GOT ONE THAT WORKED, BUT WORK IT DOES. THANK YOU AGAIN.

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

Had same problem. Bought adapter from Autozone,2 of them in fact, then I followed instructions and bought the one from U-Haul and it finally worked.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.