Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

There are two things that I cannot do: configure a printer and wire a trailer. In spite of the fact I am a pretty technologically advanced person, in both cases it seems that every time I attempt either... something invariably goes awry.

I have been chasing a ghost around in this trailer wiring for days... please help.

1. I have a 2002 ford escape with a isolation trailer harness installed. It was working fine before I replaced the trailer lights. All the leads out of the plug appear to be working correctly. The lights on the vehicle are working correctly.

2. I have replaced the ENTIRE trailer wiring harness and lighting with a new LED kit that you buy at Autozone. I FOLLOWED THE INSTRUCTIONS EXPLICITLY!! (twice) WORD FOR WORD. CONNECTION BY CONNECTION!!!

3 The system is still... hinky! The left stop tail turn seems to work okay... the right one is well... it just isn't right. the Tail doesn't burn and the turn is VERY weak.

I know LEDS work differently than regular bulbs in that the current can only run one way... could this be my issue. is there some sort of adapter i need that i am unaware of?

Just like installing a printer, the instructions seem to make out that this is a insanely simple affair.. and idiot could do this... and yet... here i am with my degree in Industrial Technology and every time I do this... something is 'different" about my installation and it doesn't work like the instructions say it should... and i fight it for DAYS!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

·
Gimpy
111 Posts
imported post

Good morning US385South
I am not too familiar with LED lights.
But I will try to help sort this out.
1) I could be wrong but it sounds like your wiring harness is ran down the left side of the trailer. There is nothing wrong with this it is just a start in trying to sort this out. If the wiring harness is ran down the left side of the trailer how is the ground connection done. I mean is it grounded to the trailer at the tong of the trailer? Is the ground ran all the way back to the left light assembly and then the left light assembly is connected to the ground wire as well as another wire which would then run across to the right tail light assembly? If this is the case it is possible that one of the connections for the ground or the Right tail light power is not a good connection.
2) Does the wiring harness split at the front (tong) and run down both sides? I have wired trailers both ways in the past. If this is the case it is possible that 1) the ground connection for the right tail light is not good or 2) the power connection for the right tail light is not good.
3) How does your trailer get its ground for the lights? I always run a ground wire through the trailer wiring connection as well as connect a ground to the hitch and a ground circuit on the trailer wiring to the trailer so that the trailer can pick up ground through the trailer connection to the vehicle.

I am sure some one here that is more familiar with LED lights will be along and try to help more. I would suggest though to carefully check all connections again. especially if you are using crimp connectors and not soldering them.

I hope this helps

Gimpy

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

I had to seperate the LED light i bought and mount seperate turn signal units to get the LED's to work properly....Heres a link to the thread i had going during my troubles, hope it helps you buddy!!!

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/111513.html

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
imported post

I was thinking grouding issue too. When I run lights i'l run the ground all the way around the trailer from a connect to the vehicle body - had too many problems when I didn't

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

The leds do in fact have a polarity, however, that will have been dealt with in the light fixtures. Assuming this is a package deal, one that you have not altered, it shouldnt be an issue.

Grounding is usually the first thing to look at. Secure them, rig to trailer, and lights to trailer, and see what happens.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

UBarW wrote:
--- it shouldnt be an issue.
This makes me smile... if you had any clue how many times I have heard just this... form a variety of sources... all confounded at my ability to screw up such idiotically simple tasks. I'd rather re-install and reconfigure a old version of Windows than re-wire a trailer...

I too am always suspect of the ground. I have hard grounded the tongue with self tapping screws AND run a separate dedicated white ground to each lighting fixture.

Get this... just as a bit of a test, I plugged my hitch rack you see below to the truck and it works fine. Of course,,, it's incandescent. Summin, somwhere is hinkey!

My mom always used to say that if there was any way to fall through the slots in the floorboards... I'd find it.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
imported post

If you are interested I can talk you through this pm for phone number
If you have used a kit it came with a trailer wire with these color wires. white ,brown, yellow , green. correct?
99.9 problems occur from bad ground. Some from a misswired plug.

What plug recepticale is on the car?? and what is the connection on the trailer?

And by the way get over the not being able to do stuff!!!!
You will amaze yourself by putting that on the backshelf and simply ask what you don't know, trust in what you see, duplicate it in your mind and communicate it clearly. Trying that we should be able to get you through this and you will have to do it yourself as I cannot come there.

And do you have a test light?? and do you know how to use it? a pad of paper and pen or pencil??

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
imported post

Just went through the same thing on a friends boat trailer. Changed over to LED's real intermittent lights etc. Good ground, traced to relay under the hood. Replaced the relay was ok for a few minutes back to the same thing. Pulled the truck harness apart Brown wire was corroded causing to much draw on the relay.
Just throwing what I found out there. The truck harness was factory also.:?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.