Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a harbor freight trailer I bought used, I cut it down to the size that my 1986 gl1200 would pull,I have one problem the trailer bounces on EVERY bump I have already taken one spring off each side but this made no difference,I put 130lbs right over the axle still no change. Anyone have any ideas? how bought the folks that made theirs, did you have the same problem?



Thanks

Scott
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
695 Posts
imported post

I haven't built any of these small trailers but have pulled numerous types behind cars/trucks.

I would suggest that you remove all leaves except the main leaf. Any trailer that has too much spring strength for the load is going to bounce around.

If that doesn't help then you'd be looking at putting some shocks on, that will eliminate most of the bounce.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,509 Posts
imported post

Try 20 lb's of pressure in the tires. That's what I run in mine and it doesn't bounce as much.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks guy's I only have the main spring now,and I have went down to 25lbs air presure.still the same

Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
27 Posts
imported post

I run 25lb of air in the tires and it bounces but not very much....pulls great for me. I have the 12" tires...not sure if that makes a difference from the 8".
 

·
Senior Guru
Joined
·
3,873 Posts
imported post

Hi Scot the draw bar on the trailer may be to short can you post a picture so we can see
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17 Posts
imported post

agnogel wrote:
Hi Scot the draw bar on the trailer may be to short can you post a picture so we can see
Tongue length is recommended to be at least 1 1/2 times the distance measured between the wheels.
My experience is that I cannot 'spring it soft enough' nor 'load it heavy enough' to stop the bouncing if the tongue is too short.

I have a Harbor Freight kit trailer that I narrowed to 39" total overall width.
I have dragged it behind my Guzzi for thousands of miles empty as well as loaded to the gills with nary an unwanted bounce.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5 Posts
imported post

Scott, I run anywhere from 18-20# in my cycle-mate with 8" tire and notice very little bounce when carrying some weight. It does bounce somewhat when empty.
 

·
Token Canuk
Joined
·
8,236 Posts
imported post

We've been coast to coast 3 times with 10 - 12 # in 8" and now 12" tires with no problem.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks everyone for the input,I will go down to 20lbs of air.As far as the hitch,I made the trailer 43" (track) center to center of tires I measured the hitch and it was 38" from ball to trailer.1 1/2 times that would sit back 64 1/2" wow thats a long ways...Not sure I would want to go back that far,plus back that far would'nt it get in bad air?

Thanks!!
 

·
Old Broad
Joined
·
3,843 Posts
imported post

scottmeier wrote:
Thanks everyone for the input,I will go down to 20lbs of air.As far as the hitch,I made the trailer 43" (track) center to center of tires I measured the hitch and it was 38" from ball to trailer.1 1/2 times that would sit back 64 1/2" wow thats a long ways...Not sure I would want to go back that far,plus back that far would'nt it get in bad air?

Thanks!!
Scott the 1.5 X distance is from axle to hitch not front of trailer to hitch. :action::action::action::action:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17 Posts
imported post

fysty-1 wrote:
scottmeier wrote:
Thanks everyone for the input,I will go down to 20lbs of air.As far as the hitch,I made the trailer 43" (track) center to center of tires I measured the hitch and it was 38" from ball to trailer.1 1/2 times that would sit back 64 1/2" wow thats a long ways...Not sure I would want to go back that far,plus back that far would'nt it get in bad air?

Thanks!!
Scott the 1.5 X distance is from axle to hitch not front of trailer to hitch. :action::action::action::action:
Yeah, Sorry for not including that very important aspect to my statement.
 

·
Token Canuk
Joined
·
8,236 Posts
imported post

Scott, I have built 3 trailers with many miles on each & talked with other builders & found that 6 feet from the hitch to the axle works best. This is the latest & was taken in Newfoundland last June. Not 2006 like the camera thought :cheeky1: :waving::waving:
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

ok I'm 13" shy of that, maybe I should think about adding to tounge...I would think that would set it back in bad air though.....this meaning air flow over top of bike and down under trailer and that would not be good.With me saying this though, I don't know that it would forsure do this, but I need to come up with something.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
imported post

scottmeier wrote:
ok I'm 13" shy of that, maybe I should think about adding to tounge...I would think that would set it back in bad air though.....this meaning air flow over top of bike and down under trailer and that would not be good.With me saying this though, I don't know that it would forsure do this, but I need to come up with something.
Also, you want to level that tongue out if it hasn't been noted yet..

With the trailer leaning back like in the photos, it will magnify the bounce back through the bike..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

OK mine is level you was looking at someone elses pic. hahha I tried to get a pic on there but it was to big and I was not sure how to make it smaller.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,509 Posts
imported post

scottmeier wrote:
OK mine is level you was looking at someone elses pic. hahha I tried to get a pic on there but it was to big and I was not sure how to make it smaller.
Email some pics of it to me, different views and I'll re-size them for ya and post them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,509 Posts
imported post

I don't think you have to worry about bad air behind a Wing, not unless you're driving for NASCAR!!!

\:shock::shock::shock::shock::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::action::action::action::action::action::action:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,801 Posts
imported post

If you built the HF trailer to spec, the tounge is too short. I moved it to the next cross rail forward and it worked well. This is the guy I copied from: http://www.gadgetjq.com/trailer.htm
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top