Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have a 2003 1800 Gold Wing and wanting to know what do you have to do to wire it for a 4 flat wire trailer? It has a square 5 wire plug a ground on it.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

You need a 5 to 4 wire converter. Available at U-Haul and other locations. I would advise to stay away from the Hoppy converters, there have been known problems with them.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

They make a plug and play trailer wiring harness for the 1500 and 1800's. Somebody posted the link for it not more than 3 weeks ago.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

DBohrer wrote:
....would advise to stay away from the Hoppy converters, there have been known problems with them.
???? They work for me...

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
They make a plug and play trailer wiring harness for the 1500 and 1800's. Somebody posted the link for it not more than 3 weeks ago.
Bagmaster, Please read his post again........!! He already has a 5-wire flat plug on his bike. He has a trailer with a 4-wire flat plug.

His question is what does he need to do to connect things up.

Please explain why he would need a trailer wiring harness (when he already has one).

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Both sides of the fence here, with the Hoppy. The one on the trike is perfect. The one on my van, blows the right rear turn bulb on the van.(??)Oh well. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Ok I'm real dumb when it comes to wiring. I bought a 5 to 4 wire converter now do I cut the wires and splice them or find where they come from and wire it there? I really need help please

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

You can cut and splice. Just use a light tester to make sure of what each wire does and then connect as per directions on package. I also have a 5 to4 adaptor on my wing and went through 3 converters until found one that worked. If having a problem after splice then attach both grounds (one from bike-one from adaptor) to motorcycle frame for a better ground.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Well Ranger3, you got that thing wired and working yet? Just wondering.:waving::action:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.