Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

How much tow weight is allowed for the 84 Apencade?

Thanks,

Eagleavn

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Given that as Kylesmuskie says, Honda suggest that we shouldn't tow a trailer with the Wings, we all know that many many riders do still tow them.
The load that one might carry in the trailer should certainly not exceed the load rating of the trailer, as per the individual manufacturers.
General advise will be forthcoming from other members, so er on the cautious side of what anyone says they tow.
:waving:

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
imported post

I'm not a hijacker, but since Mother Honda recommends no towing at all, a good question for those with a trailer and a 12hundred would be:

What does your loaded trailer weight?

What's your tongue weight?

Do you have surge or any type of brakes?

How does is ride? (Take off/braking/manuvering)

Wobble issues?

I'm very interested because I already have the frame (HF) and looking to design my "touring" trailer. With one of the main restrictions being weigth, but another restriction would be square footage of your frontal area.(A trailer that is 4 ft wide and has a height from frame to top of 3 ft is 12 ft2) wich amounts to drag at highway speeds (minus the wind that is already "cut" by the Goldwing)

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Just as an aside, I don't think there is much difference between the towing abilities/ capacity of the 1200 as opposed to any other Wing in the range. Might be a little bit less load ability for the lightest of Wings compared to the heaviest, but not huge amounts.
Equally important as the total load is the way the trailer is loaded, eg: even distribution with a slight tongue weight bias. If you load the trailer heavy to the rear, you can expect the trailer to thrash about like a demented snake. :shock:

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

I have a friend that used a UniGo trailer for years with his GL-1200. Those one-wheeled trailers are mega-cool.

If you find a deal on one of those - I have the GL-1200 Special Uni-Go hitch. Those hitches are totally un-obtainable and I have one. Just FYI.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
imported post

do you have a picture of the Uni-go hitch? I have a one wheel trailer that I pull behind my 1100 when it's on the bike it feels like a bigger bike,but I love how it leans with the bike and the fact it is the same with as the bike. I have sean trailers hit other bikes because the drive forgot it was wider.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Typically #500 is considered a heavy trailer, that is about where you will start to really feel it pulling and pushing the bike around. With experience you can pull around #600 but I would not advise it. To start out with try to stay around #300 until you feel safer with it.

The bike will pull much more, but the question is can you handle it, and more importantly, can you stop it?

Yes I have pulled well in excess of #600-700 pounds, but I would not advise it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.