Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I and a friend are thinking of buying a tent trailer forour 1500 and 1800:15red::18red:wings.

The question is how safe is towing a trailer. What is an acceptable towing speed, any recommendations on four berth tent trailer suppliers in the UK and Ireland?
:leprechaun:
Any feed back would be welcome.:action::action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

I pull a trailer most of the time as I find it really handy for dumping stuff in ,but I also use it when I go to Europe on holidays ,,I can get a 4 man tent in with all the luggage and even have room for a few bottles of Wine from France ,,

My trailer can travel at very high speeds 90 mph and not a problem ,I usually travel on motorways around 75 mph ,,,The secret to pulling a trailer safely is NEVER put too much weight in it,,If you do ,you will run into trouble on wet roads ,,as the weight of the trailer can push your bike sideways when you brake on a bend ,,so be really careful ..Trailer tents are a little different ,And if you are going to buy one have a look at this site http://www.camperlands.co.uk/,There are a few of us from Ireland heading over to this place on Feb 10th to have a look at a trailer tent that they have for a motorcycle ,,there is an exibition on for the month of feb ,,Remember the trailer MUST NOT be wider than the bike ..and can be no longer than 3 metres in length ,We might see you over there ,,we should be there around noon on the 10th ,,cheers Ciaran..ps they are expensive ...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi Wexman

Thanks for the information, you have answered my question in one hit. Which store are you planning to view on the 10th.

It may be possable for the better half and me to have a trip over.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Camperlands Limited

Mill Lane,
Northenden,
Manchester,
M22 4HJ

Fax: 0161 946 1383
General Enquiries Tel: 0161 9988523 /3467

The store on the link ..Just outside Manchester ,,There is a map to it on the site ..cheers Ciaran:waving:

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
imported post

To answer your original question of how safe really depends on the type of trailer. It generally is the case that the more expensive the trailer the better as you only get what you pay for. The main problem is that motorcycle trailers as a rule don't have any independant braking system so you have to be very careful stopping at speed. The bikes brakes will slow the bike down but the only thing stopping your fully laden trailer is the pressure exerted on the tow hitch system at the back of the bike.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'd expect that bike trailers are sensitive to center of gravity as othe vehicular trailers in that you need a fair percentage of the trailer's weight on the hitch. I know that my sailboat had a bit of yawing in it when I bought it from the previous owner. Only by putting the outboard, centerboard and rudder in the forward berth could I tame it down. When I got it home, I slid trailer wheels aft 12" and it's been tame ever since.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

I asked my neighbour was he going to buy a trailer for his :18red:and he bluntly told me that he most definitely was not, :whip: as towing a trailer behind a m/cycle in the Rep. of Ireland was illegal. :stumped: He told me that their is no category of driving licence for such a combination. :crying:What is the category of licence in the U.K. for m/cycle and trailer. :baffled:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

You dont need a special driving licence to tow a trailer in ireland either with a car or a motorcycle ,And as far as I am aware you are insured for towing a trailer with ALL motor policies in Ireland and always have been ,, much the same way as you dont need a licence to drive a boat here in Ireland ,whereas in most other countries you do ....Ciaran

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Please read http://www.goldwingfacts.com/mclawinireland.htmThis article that Mick Fenlon wrote is still correct with the exception of the latest changeto the speed limitsto K.P.H. :clapper:

The present law under the Road Traffic Act (RTA)with regard to driving licences in the Rep of Ireland is, :skipping:To tow a trailer with a car or similar vehicle (van, 4x4, etc) the category of licence is EB. :weightlifter: The same applies to all other category of vehicles which tow a trailer, Coach +Trailer = ED :clapper:, Truck + Trailer= EC :clapper:, M/Bus + Trailer = ED1:clapper:, Small Truck + Trailer = EC1:clapper:, etc.

There is currently no CategoryEA, EA1 or EM to tow a Trailer with a m/cycle in the Rep of Ireland. :jumper:Motor boats dont come under the Road Traffic Act. :stumped: I dont know what arrangements Ins.Coy. have, :baffled:but if some poor devilhas an accident im sure they will be quick enough then to tell you what cover you have, :crying:then of course it's too late. :crying:

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

wexman wrote:
You dont need a special driving licence to tow a trailer in ireland either with a car or a motorcycle ,And as far as I am aware you are insured for towing a trailer with ALL motor policies in Ireland and always have been ,, much the same way as you dont need a licence to drive a boat here in Ireland ,whereas in most other countries you do ....Ciaran

Thats correct, Wexman.

The Road Traffic Act does not prevent the towing of trailers by Motor cycles, but does place restrictions on size and gross weight, and both must comply with the Construction and Use Regulations of the relevant countries.

Thinking about it logically the Insurance companies would be the first to let you know if towing was a no no, but they supply cover.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You guys sure have to jump through a lot of Government hoops. Of course it isn't all beer and skittles here either you still have to license the trailer, even a little bike trailer. The worst of it is that I have a slide in camper that goes on the back of my poor old truck and this damn state makes me license that! IT'S GOT NO %&^%%$$ WHEELS!!!

:whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip::whip:

Several states don't license them, Alaska doesn't, they don't title them either. When I moved down to Washington, the DMV got into a first rate dither since the camper had never been titled or licensed. Alaska has a lot more sense, it's just a load on the back of a pickup. Gripes me, have to license the old truck, and the camper. These guys with the 45' Prevost motorhome that cost around a mega buck only have to pay for one license and it's the same price as the one on my truck. &^%hole Bureaucrats!

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

manxblackcat wrote:
The Road Traffic Act does not prevent the towing of trailers by Motor cycles.

I dont know what the Road Traffic Act statesfor the Isle of Man. :stumped: There is no provisionunder the Road Traffic Act in The Rep. of Ireland to tow a trailer legallywith a m/cycle. :X End of story. :whip:

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Ive not done it personally, but from advice of those who have (and made hand-built ones):

1.) make sure the wheel bearings are in good order and greased

2.) Have a little tongue weight (hitch weight) so the trailer doesnt bounce up and down

3.) Axles need to be the right distance back from the hitch.

Most of all of this should be already designed in on a commercial trailer.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
manxblackcat wrote:
The Road Traffic Act does not prevent the towing of trailers by Motor cycles.

I dont know what the Road Traffic Act statesfor the Isle of Man. :stumped: There is no provisionunder the Road Traffic Act in The Rep. of Ireland to tow a trailer legallywith a m/cycle. :X End of story. :whip:

Which means ..YOU DONT NEED A SPECIAL LICENCE TO TOW A TRAILER BEHIND A MOTORBIKE IN IRELAND ...which means IT IS NOT ILLEAGLE TO TOW A TRAILER BEHIND A MOTORCYCLE IN IRELAND ,am I right or wrong ?:cheeky1:Ciaran

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

There is no provision in the road traffic act in Ireland to put a roof rack on your car legally ,but you still do it and it is not illeagle ,:grinner::grinner::grinner::grinner::grinner::grinner::grinner::grinner:

Now go back to bed and get out the right side this time .:goofygrin:......God you are getting grumpy:whip: ,,I think we will have to do a collection to get your bike resprayed to the proper RED and then you will be in better humour ,,

Either that or we will send you off to another island on holidays for a time ..like alcatraz:jumper:,ps if you ever need a loan of a trailer :):)
:)cheers Ciaran ...:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

I am not sure a Honda 50 has the torque nor horsepower to pull a trailer.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

wexman wrote:
Either that or we will send you off to another island on holidays for a time ..like alcatraz:jumper:,:)cheers Ciaran ...:waving:
Hi Wexman

Please not The Isle of Woman or the Isle of Man.

If it means a thicker Brown envalope, it won't be a problem

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

wexman wrote:
Either that or we will send you off to another island on holidays for a time ..like alcatraz:jumper:,ps if you ever need a loan of a trailer :):)
:)cheers Ciaran ...:waving:
Alcatraz unfortunately is out of business, however McNeil Island prison right here in Puget Sound is still operating. I'd be glad to keep and eye on his bike for the duration.

:cheeky1:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.