Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tell me what ya got, and do you like it? The wife and I are in the market for one and do not want to get stuck with a make or brand that has known quality or warranty issues. What should I avoid and what is ok? The only brand I can think of right away is Bushtec and they look like a high quality product but the prices are a bit expensive as well.

·
Premium Member
2,272 Posts
I just sold a Magneta trailer. Small but nice little trailer. Wife still has one she pulled behind her trike. I just purchased a Escapade. I think they are a very nice and well built trailer. Air ride suspension is hard to beat. I pulled it home almost 500 miles empty. Never bounced at all. My vote is Escapade. Nice used ones 1990's early 2000's can be found around $2,000.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
I have a bushtec and I like the suspension as long as you have the remote air pump. It seems to be easy on the bike as I do not feel anything when it hits bumps. the quality seems to be good, and the service that i have gotten from bushtec has been great. they seem to hold their value as I bought a 07 in 10 (4th owner) there was a black 2010 bushtec for sale for 3900 on the 1800 site earlier in the week.
the things that I don't like is there is a lot of proprietary parts on it that have to come from bushtech, tires and wheels for one. you only need a spare because if you break a rim from road hadzards it will take weeks to get a new one. I looked for tires on the net and it is a crap shoot to get a tire with the load rating and rubber compound that last 30k.
big dislike is price

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
I have an OLD cyclemate cargo trailer, about 4x4 sized. Leaf springs, no shocks. It bounces a bit, but the price was great and it tows easy.
(Got it with a 1978 GL1000 as a package. restored the bike, rode it for a year and sold it without the trailer and fully covered cost of bike, and I kept the trailer) I digress.
If you find one in good shape you like, you will probably be quite happy.

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
I have a Timeout Dart complete with Cooler molded into the tongue. It is a cargo type of trailer not a camper. It pulls beautifully and holds everything we needed for a trip to Alaska and back for 2. I bought it used and now have pulled it for over 60,000 miles.

12" tires, independent torsion bar suspension, standard wheel bearings and lights available from the local automotive store. Carpet lined and water tight.

Inside the back ledge that covers the lights I installed a 12V battery (used from the wing), a 300W inverter, 115V outlets & 12V plugs. I charge it while going down the road.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
You can make a trailer for about 1/4 the price of buying one. A couple i have built are in my Garage . :waving:

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
I have a boat trailer that I have down sized to a smaller size that is convertable so that it can be used as a trailer for pulling behind the bike or for pulling my boat behind my Jeep.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
I'm very happy with my cyclemate. It came with my 1500 and was neglected by by the P.O. He claimed the wind caught the lid one day and tore up the hinge and lift. the lift just needed to be put back on and a few more pop rivets in the hindge made it good as new. Still trying to bring the finish back from all the sun damage. As far as towing, it has plenty of room and I hardly even know its back there going down the road.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the things that I don't like is there is a lot of proprietary parts on it that have to come from bushtech, tires and wheels for one. you only need a spare because if you break a rim from road hadzards it will take weeks to get a new one.
Thanks for the info, it will definetly factor into my decision.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
I have the cyclemate/time-out trailer with the 1800 taillamps. Pulls like a dream, bought a spare from fleet-farm and attached it under the trailer body towards the rear. Love the cooler and I can fit two sets of golf clubs in it with no problems at all.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Trailer Automotive wheel system

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
I started with the pod and that was ok but ruff on cargo with leaf springs. Had a Neosho and that was ok but small. I have an Escapade now and really like it. No bounce at all. They even advertise full or empty you can lift chest high and drop and it will not bounce. Had it hooked to bike and tried it. It's like a cat when it lands. People that follow me are amazed how it follows like in stealth mode. Pulls awesome and looks good to. Even has garment bag that attaches to the lid. Yup I like it.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
My timeout is a slightly older version, evidently my cooler must be smaller than yours, I can't get any golf clubs in my cooler!!!;):):ROFL:

Henry
Make ONE mistake in this place (had to re-read my post...yep cooler is definately larger on my model):ssshh:
It is hell getting old:?

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I have a cyclemate that came with my 1200, and a bunkhouse, good to have options. Cyclemate works great for when you just need extra space. I used it on a trip around Lake Superior last year and plan to use it on another trip this year. But really only use it about once or twice a year. If I were using it every weekend I might want something nicer.

·
650 Posts
i purchassed a xl1800 timeout trailer with the chrome packege and roof rack the trailer is very light and stores a lot of stuff 24sf i believe. ive used it once on a trip to bar harbor maine last fall and had no problems the spare tire mounts under the trailer which is really nice. i had the enclosed cooler installed on mine i believe i spend $3000. last june when i bought it , i also have a few more pics in my photos under (my wing)

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Harbor Freight special. = $140.00 when on sale.

You would never even know it was back there most of the time.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.