Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 98 SE with 16,000 mi on the clock. Has anyone experienced their transmission downshift from 4th to 3rd all by itself?It has happened 2 or 3 times and my foot wasnt even close to the shifter. Too weird if you ask me. And also any problems with false shifts, i.e. not upshifting to the next gear when the shifter is lifted?? Seems to happen more than it should. Any suggestions as to why? This is my first wing and am trying to figure a couple things out about it.Thanks.. Kevin

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

on my 1200 has happened a couple of times. all related to high rpm shifts and not pulling the lever as hard as it should to lock the gears in place. other members said they had got the same when shifting at higher rpms

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

Come to think about it, if I pamper my shifts, the higher gears may shift back down.

For me, this usually occurs just momentarily after a shift.

To me a pampered shift is sort of like a half shift. 1 to N, or 2 to N. If I do a pampered half shift in the high gears, other MC tend to find a false N. My GW acts like it was not fully engaged, slips out, and automatically went to the lower gear.

So, I try not to give it a soft shift. I give it a firm force on the footfor full engagement.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,154 Posts
imported post

I found on my 1500 that gentle shifts were rewarded with a sudden return to the previous gear.

When I started being more positive with my shifts, it stayed in the new gear.

Soft shifts don't properly seat the ball in the detents to make it stay where it is supposed to.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the comeback, I will try to have a more positive shift. I have noticed that the wing tranny is not as smooth as my previous ride, Suzuki Cavalcade. It shifted much smoother and never had any issues with shifting at all. Thanks again Kevin

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

What weight oil are you using in your engine? When I changed my oil recently I used 15/40 and find the gearchange a bit clunky. I am considering going back to 10/40.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I am using MC 10-40 Amzoil in my bike.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
imported post

Also listen for a clunk when you shift. You may not have a positive gear engagement if the sound and feel isn't there.:D

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum from Ont.,Canada.
I'm surprised that no one asked whether or not you had a heel/toe shifter.If you do then it may be worn out, not adjusted properly or it may be binding up.If you have pegs then just ignore this post,except for the welcome of course.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
imported post

I had a 96 se that when i shifted gears under full power it would slam back down into next lower gear by itself. Tured out i had to split engine and replace one shifting fork and the shift cam had a chip out of one of the lobes allowiing it to slam back down to next lower gear. was a awfull job but had to be done.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

fatwing chris wrote:
Welcome to the forum from Ont.,Canada.
I'm surprised that no one asked whether or not you had a heel/toe shifter.If you do then it may be worn out, not adjusted properly or it may be binding up.If you have pegs then just ignore this post,except for the welcome of course.
good Call there Chris.;)

We shall await his answer...

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Nope, dont have the heel toe shifter. I rode a 1500 that did and it was a real pain in the backside to shift. No room for my boots around all that hardware. I'm used to the normal shifting routine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.