Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the dreaded 4th gear clash and from what I've read, you can swap in the 97 and up GL1500 transmission
gearset. I would like to clarify if this is true or not as my bike is currently immobile because of this and I need to get on it.
Thanks, Ski.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know that's the 'general' fix people opt for, but an engine is not in the budget and I wrench for a living so splitting the cases and going in is no issue for me. I just need to verify the gearset (shafts, gears, forks, drum, etc) will go in.

·
Magic Moderator
5,120 Posts
Welcome Aboard.
:)
You can interchange the parts.
There's all the parts to order to do the job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome Aboard.
:)
You can interchange the parts.
There's all the parts to order to do the job.
Thanks! I did use parts lookup to a point checking the engine case and a few other things.but the changed the gearset design in 97 with the Valkyrie and rolled them into the GW so the part numbers changed though I'm sure they superseded. I knew someone would know for sure. I have access to a complete 98 trans out of the case and i have no issue putting the time in to fix it. Not sure how this happened at 20k miles, but I also don't know the history of the original owner other than he managed
to lay it down and or drop it twice. smh... I'm south of Seattle.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks! I did use parts lookup to a point checking the engine case and a few other things.but the changed the gearset design in 97 with the Valkyrie and rolled them into the GW so the part numbers changed though I'm sure they superseded. I knew someone would know for sure. I have access to a complete 98 trans out of the case and i have no issue putting the time in to fix it. Not sure how this happened at 20k miles, but I also don't know the history of the original owner other than he managed
to lay it down and or drop it twice. smh... I'm south of Seattle.
from the June '05 issue of motorcycle consumer news, by Fred Rau. He was the editor of Wing World magazine in '87, the news letter of the largest Gold Wing organization, the Gold Wing Road Riders Association (GWRRA), and now contributes to MCN.

"in '97 the GW recieved a fairly major upgrade that was, oddly enough not heralded by Honda. Honda quietly lifted the Valkyrie's main bearings, pistons, piston rings, con-rod bolts and valve springs into the '97 Wing, along with the smoother-shifting Valkyrie gearbox and the entire final drive unit. In addition, the clutch was strengthened, also."

Also from the article, 1) '88 through '94, 4th and 5th gear wear out at around 100k miles, gears were upgraded in '95 and newer. Also, shift forks wear out from riders resting their toe on the shift lever while riding. their experts warned that the use of heel-toe shifters is also responsible for shift fork damage, as your heal puts much more force on the shifter than your toe would.

from other reading I've done;
eariler than '97 gear sets will not work, the GW shafts are smaller from my understanding and other posts from a few yrs ago. The parts fiches seem to bear this out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts