Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

HI there, I'm new to the forum and I hope you all can help.:baffled:

I've got an 84' GL 1200 standard and I have a noise that sounds like a chain rattle in the tranny. The bike only has 40,000k on it. It sat for 4+ years before I aquired it so I have changed the cam belts, cleaned the carbs, new spark plugs, K&N filter, fuel filter, oil change, and replaced the vacum lines. The noise is quieter above 3000 rpm but still present. Could the drive chain be worn or the tensioner be stuck? I was told that if the carbs weren't just right it could cause some of the noise. I also have a loud backfire when coming off the throttle right around 1500 to 2000 rpm. It accelerates strong and the motor is very quiet. This is my first Goldwing so I'm not really sure what noises are normal. One more thing, at part throttle the engine feels alittle rough and anemic. I might have missed something in the carb cleaning.The charging system is good. The plugs do seem alittle "wet" even after driving around for 30-40 minutes. I'm only choking it for 15-30 secs as it is has been in the high 90's around here. The bike does not get hot and there are no other noises either during acceleration or during decceleration. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

there is a primary chain that drives the drive shaft in the back of the engine. My '78 makes the same noise and it is common in the earlier wings. It is not adjusable without a complete engine tear down, and provided the bike was maintained okay it should not be a problem. maybe some folks know more than me on this , but I have found it common on older wings.

so they fooled us all... gold wings really are chain driven

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the info. This noise just seems to loud to be normal. By the way I lived in Shawnee OK in the 90's.

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Rick wrote:
Hey Rick :waving:A big Welcome to the man from West Plains, to the best Goldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:Loads of help available here, just ask the questions. :jumper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum Rick. Great Forum with good people (some are a little wierd):waving::waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum, Rick! If your carbs get out of balance it will make the chain louder, as the cylinders are pulling unevenly. The backfire when you let off the gas may be your air cutoff valve, located on the bottom of the air plunum is starting to get bad.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Rick wrote:

I've got an 84' GL 1200 standard and I have a noise that sounds like a chain rattle in the tranny. The bike only has 40,000k on it. It sat for 4+ years before I aquired it so I have changed the cam belts, cleaned the carbs, new spark plugs, K&N filter, fuel filter, oil change, and replaced the vacum lines. The noise is quieter above 3000 rpm but still present. Could the drive chain be worn or the tensioner be stuck? I was told that if the carbs weren't just right it could cause some of the noise. I also have a loud backfire when coming off the throttle right around 1500 to 2000 rpm. It accelerates strong and the motor is very quiet. This is my first Goldwing so I'm not really sure what noises are normal. One more thing, at part throttle the engine feels alittle rough and anemic. I might have missed something in the carb cleaning.The charging system is good. The plugs do seem alittle "wet" even after driving around for 30-40 minutes. I'm only choking it for 15-30 secs as it is has been in the high 90's around here. The bike does not get hot and there are no other noises either during acceleration or during decceleration. Thanks
Rick, as mentioned those older Wings have drive related noises, primarily main drive chain & trans counter gears. How much is a normal noise & when it becomes a problem noise is very hard to tell when you buy the bike used. If you owned it from day one you would know what is normal & what is new as far as noises go.

ANYTHING that causes the engine to run a little rough will accentuate the internal noises. Those early 1200 Wings were jetted a little lean in the lower RPM ranges so any acceleration under load causes irregular power pulses & that excites the normal noises even more.

Adding the K & N air cleaner didn't help any as that further leaned the already lean off idle & now makes the power pulses sharper & more pronounced. You might try installing a slightly dirty production air filter to see if that softens the off idle 1,500 to 2,000 RPM range slightly.

Lean set pilot jet needles also produce a little more uneven operation in the off idle ranges so maybe try opening the pilot needles another 1/2 turn or so.

Something else to try is changing theengine oil to a 20W50 blend that is formulated for older high mile vehicles. That oil has a thicker base blend & will usually quiet internal engine noises a little (that Dinooil will shear quickly so the noise elimination will only last for a thousand miles or so but will possibly show you if a thicker oil will help you out.

Make sure your coils are getting full power as those older wings sometimes have low voltage going to the coils & that alone can cause a shudder under acceleration with resulting chain rattle.

On that rough & anemic at part throttle? The early 1200 Wings were jetted quite lean in that range. Honda issued a service bulletin at one time stating to change the carb slide needles, slide springs, & go to a richer pilot jet. If yours hasn't been updated it could still be pretty lean in the part throttle range. I don't think the parts are still available & wouldn't know the part numbers even if they were still around. You might try adding a .020" small washer under the head of each carb needle to raise that a little (adds a little fuel at just off idle), then richen the pilot jet needles as far as you can without losing very much miles per gallon. That usually makes a big difference at just off idle smooth power & adds a little zip in the mid range. Another thing I like to do is raise the carb float levels tothe high side of the high spec as that also richens the entire calibration rangea little.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Rick wrote:
Thanks for the info. This noise just seems to loud to be normal. By the way I lived in Shawnee OK in the 90's.
Hey Rick, since you lived in"Shawnee" you might know an ole' friend of mine "Gayla Sue Crane" World Champion Powerlifter" great gal!

Use to work at the "sporting goods store"?

Help her out once in a "Nationals Meet" years ago! (maybe 23 yrs ago)?

Her Dad thanked me and said he owes me a steak dinner ifI come through "Shawnee" ha!

You might know her brother 'Ricky" also a "World Champion" lifter, I didn't know Ricky?

Any ways if you ever get back there tell her ( Pete "the Greek" ) says Hi, the coach from Illinois!

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

can the air shutoff valve be repaired/cleaned or can it only be "fixed" with a new one? thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I do not know the Cranes personally but I did visit their fitness center "Cranes Muscle World", I think back, around 1994 there in Shawnee. I have read some articles on Him in different powerlifting mags.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Rick wrote:
can the air shutoff valve be repaired/cleaned or can it only be "fixed" with a new one? thanks for the info.
Rick, well that really depends on what's wrong with it. If yours is original it is probably pretty lazy & won't activate until a very high vacuum. Those internal diaphragms harden up over time & become pretty lazy. You should be able to get an inexpensive kit to replace the spring & valve internals. Problem is: they are a real pain to get to & require the carb package to come out of the bike.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

thanks twisty, I guess the carbs are coming back off:(You guys have been great.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.