Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

How do you guys handle money on a long trip in the states and how do you handle money when going into Mexico?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I stuff some money in my pants and various other places along with some plastic and head out.

When I get low (time or money) I start heading for home.

I haven't found a good reason to leave the US yet. Plenty to see here.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
imported post

I try to use a credit card as much as possible. Motels mainly, and some of the gas, and food. I carry some cash. I normally put it in a couple of different places. And I have an emergency fund hiden on my bike. Enough that I can get myself home on fuel and a little food.. I have noticed in the last few years that travelers checks are not as happily excepted anymore. Just for thinking carry a spare set of bike keys also. Most guys find a place to hide them on the bike.

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

I put some cash away just to have but mainly use visa debit card.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Aw come on now Rudy, there's a whole new world out here. :waving::waving:

Rudy wrote:

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

I usually get Snorebabeto buy things for me:cheeky1::cheeky1: That way I don't have to carry any money:cooldevil:

Seriously, I carry a debit card for gas/hotel/food but usually have some cash on hand just in case (whenSnorebabelets me carry it:cheeky1:).

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

Snorebaby wrote:
I usually get Snorebabeto buy things for me:cheeky1::cheeky1: That way I don't have to carry any money:cooldevil:

Seriously, I carry a debit card for gas/hotel/food but usually have some cash on hand just in case (whenSnorebabelets me carry it:cheeky1:).
Hey Doug.....That's wierd, I get Snorebabe to buy things for me too!!! :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Really, I use a credit card so that I get points/miles and then my bride pays the bill when it comes in. I do carry some money on me but use the credit card 95% of the time.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
Aw come on now Rudy, there's a whole new world out here. :waving::waving:

Rudy wrote:

Oh, I know. Been South and been North up your way. While I liked the north Rockies real well, it isn't something I can take enough time out for in my current life.

The oiled lady is going to have to win the lottery before she sees much from where she is right now.

Either that or Obama is going to have to come through on a couple of promises. :gunhead:

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
imported post

Hope you are buying lots of lotto tickets. The odds are better at winning that way.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

When Red and I were bumming through Europe, we took $200 in U.S. cash, and our Visa debit card. When we returned, after eight weeks, we still had $200 is U.S. cash! Our Visa debit card worked nearly everywhere........ didn't take any travellers checks. If you use a card, you get the up-to-date correct exchange rate....

One note of caution: if you are using a debit card, make sure your bank knows you're going overseas! If you don't, the bank gets nervous and freezes your card! We found that out the hard way! Fixed it with a couple offrantic phone calls.....

Red and I were very nervous going overseas....... felt like a couple of rubes, which we are! But thanks to the kindness of nearly every European we met, starting with the hard-looking Dutch commando type who helped us get out of the great Dutch airport alive, we felt totally comfortable and like old hands in a couple of days. The trick is to just be decent: try and not act too proud, apologize for not being able to speak their language, and throw in a statement or two how wonderful their country is... because all the countries are.

We loved it over there, and would go again in a minute if we had the scratch.... workin' on it...... You haven't seen mountains until you've been to Switzerland, Austria, France.... trust me!

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
imported post

Flyone wrote:
Snorebaby wrote:

Hey Doug.....That's wierd, I get Snorebabe to buy things for me too!!! :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:
DANG!!!! So that's why I can't afford a 1500 yet!!!:shock::shock::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

We both carry about 100 each cash on trips and use the Visa atm as much as possible so as not to use up the cash so fast.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I charge as much as I can, and let the conversion of currency happen with the card.

Cousin Jack is correct about cards. Call the Credit card company too, before leaving. I was in Brasil when they denied my Chase Visa. Fortunately, I had a cell phone and the fixed that immediately. Tell them all the countries you plan to visit and the time frame.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
imported post

i go to canada and get $75 exchanged to canadien money for gas and some food mainly

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

A recent book I read on long-distance traveling by the guy who's been around the world four times on motorcycles suggested hiding money in his shoe, but the best thought I read was to have two wallets. He had one in his back pocket, which when stopped by police or robbers, was the one he offered or they found. It had duplicate identification, a small sum of cash such as $25-$50, pictures, etc, to appear like his real wallet. The important wallet was hidden elsewhere, and never found in his advertures. He was imprisoned on at least one occasion in South America, and on several occasions in foreign countries had to pay bribes (road taxes). These amounts were based on what was found on his person, and they took most or all of it.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
imported post

when the wife and i went on a trip tocheck out a school and appartment for our son in N.C. (in the cage)a few years a go we used plastic(debit card)a few weeks after we got home there were charges on the card from where we went, so even traveling in the states call them and let them know where you are going when you are leaving and returning

just my 1/2 cent

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

When travelling in Canada, small amount of cash, debit and credit card.

When travelling south of the border, some US currency and Credit card, with the CC company notified ahead of time of places I plan to visit and time period(avoids hassles). I only take 1 CC and minimum documentation needed. Wallet is a lot thinner and more comfortable to sit on while riding

Gas, meals, hotels, souvieneers,paid for as much as possible by CC. Cash is for campgrounds, as most find cash easier and for when just a small purchase/cost(tolls) is required.

·
Premium Member
61,360 Posts
imported post

I have this thing called a Wallet.. You can put money in it and plastic cards.. Works great...

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
When Red and I were bumming through Europe, we took $200 in U.S. cash, and our Visa debit card. When we returned, after eight weeks, we still had $200 is U.S. cash!

Red and I were very nervous going overseas....... apologize for not being able to speak their language, and throw in a statement or two how wonderful their country is... because all the countries are.
Bringing and returning with $200 cash, was probably not too surprising CJ, since Europe uses € and UK the £. :shock::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Hope you are still working on the English, for when you come over to us next, only I don't do foreign languages very well!!!!:(:shock::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Helen & I tend to travel with a fair amount of cash, not too clever I know, but then again she knows how to protect me!!!!!:D:arguing:

When the cash runs out, the credit cards come to the rescue!!!

·
Premium Member
5,381 Posts
imported post

Credit cards cover the bigger things such as hotels and fuel on a long trip. The receipts are also a log of sorts. Cashcovers the fast food meals and miscellaneous items. All in one pocket pretty much.

This is for the USA and Canada. In some countries in South America I would be a lot more cautious due to the number of pick pockets and street gangs.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.