Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those (like me) that don't know the local Geography, What is approximate travel times to Fontana Dam from nearby larger towns. It might help out some people in trip planning. I'll be coming down I75 from (through) Cincy. How long do I need to plan from Knoxville? For other people from other directions, How long from say Birmingham, Atlanta, Charlotte?

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts
Hi Carl, here's the quick answer...

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
Last time I came down I75, I got about 10 miles from Rt81 heading south and the clouds decided to open up. Worst rain I have ever seen in my life. I am guessing here, but I don't think it takes more than 45 minutes once you get on 75 south from Rt 81 to get to the area. Unfortunately, the quickest way to get there is either coming down the Tail of the Dragon or coming across the Cherohala..........

Edit: I was going to Tellico Plains when I went down I75 last. Add another 50 miles to that to get to Fontana Dam from there....... 1 hour 45 min to 2 hours......

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
You could easily make it from Knoxville in less than 2 hours.
If you were 2 hours away, it would take you about two hours to get there.......... :?

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
If you were 2 hours away, it would take you about two hours to get there.......... :?
If you are in Knoxville, you are at a minimum of 1 1/2 hours and up to 2 hours away, depending on traffic and weather.:? How's that:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

·
Super Moderator
6,132 Posts
If you are in Knoxville, you are at a minimum of 1 1/2 hours and up to 2 hours away, depending on traffic and weather.:? How's that:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:
I had to update my post, I went to Tellico last time I went that way and that didn't seem to take that long, but it's another 50 miles from there to get to fontana Dam.....

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts

·
Administrator
57,515 Posts

·
X-Roughneck
1,229 Posts
wow think they need to do some adjusting to that map.Looks like they have Indy and Springfield,IL bassackwards.

thanks for the 'times' from Knoxville.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I need to start mapping out my plans! Time is going to fly up quick on me. Glad you guys are posting this information. Home to Knoxville is 8 hours with 528 miles. I will be in Madison, WI for WingDing on Saturday and will be pulling in to Fontana on Monday afternoon. At quick glance, it looks like I will sleep at home on Sunday and leave my place Monday morning. Just did my Iron Butt ride of 2000 miles in 48 hours, so this doesn't look hard to do any more!

What time do we "roll our own" food Monday night? I will ensure I am there for that!

·
Premium Member
5,319 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
THERE! I forgot what size shirts I wear anymore! I will order shirts and stuff when I get home. Great job on things John!

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
I strongly suggest taking hwy 16 if it is in your way....amazing ride!!!!!! A section of it is called the "Back of the Dragon. Every type of curve and speed imaginable,awesome interlinking twisties. Ballet on a bike fellas

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.