Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all on the site. I'm new to the site, and am in the process of buying a 1989 Goldwing/ Champion SA trike. I was wondering what the cost might be to ship it to Ireland for a vacation? My Irish co-pilot:"Mean Colleen" has always wanted to visit Ireland. I've had a chance to visit my homeland of Poland but my lass has not. I thought what a bike trip that would be! If any one has shipped to the U.S. and back or the other way, please let me know how big a deal this might be. Would love to hear ideas or info. Thanks for the great site, what a wealth of information!

Thanks,
Fire a100 (Larry)
East China Mi.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Your best bet is to probably talk to Wing Nut or Wexy... Both live in Ireland and Wexy imports Goldwings into the country so he probably has a pretty good idea of what it would cost to bring one over for a bit...

Me and my family met both these fine gentlemen when we were over in Ireland about a month ago and they are both great guys as well as their other friends we met during their club gathering in downtown Dublin...

Have fun in Ireland - it is a marvelous country with extremely friendly people... We would go back in a heartbeat!!! :cheesygrin:

Les

·
Premium Member
948 Posts
Wow, that would be awesome. My favorite internet music is from "The Heart of Ireland", Irish Pub Radio. When I'm in the garage, listening to irish music, and working on bikes, I always think about touring Ireland on a bike. Ive heard about all of the major towns and areas, even though I can't spell them. It would be a lot less hassle and worry to rent one once you get there? Please, keep us posted on your plans and options.

Scott

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
Wexy is the man for that information. He knows the ins and outs of importing and shipping Goldwings. I will PM him the link of this thread Larry, so he can get in touch with you. Also I will move this to the General Discussion forum for you.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
Hi , to ship a bike or trike for a vacation would be very very expensive ,costing in the region of 4 to 5 thousand dollars return ..Then you will have a problem getting insurance here as it is almost impossible for a non resident from outside the EU to get insurance .
Many members here have asked me this in the past and my answer will always be the same ..rent a car .. the roads here are narrow and the surface is not brilliant :) .it would be a lot less expensive and safer to rent a car ,as we drive on the other side of the road .
There is one place that now hires bikes here ,but not goldwings , only small cruisers ,shadow 750 or a bmw rt 1150 ,but they cost around €200 a day .Take it from me a car is a safer and way less expensive way to travel in this little country of ours ,, Ciaran

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
I can speak from first hand experience on the narrow roads... Some of the country roads (dubbed L for local and R for rural I believe) are virtually one lane... And you have to remember to drive on the proper side of the road and the turnabouts go in the opposite direction of ours here in the US... It takes a few days to get used to things and I still had to think hard when I was making a right hand turn across traffic...

You will love the country and the people and the pubs and, and, and... :) :) :)

Really, we had a marvelous time and Ciaran and Steve were top notch in making us feel welcome - great friends!!! ;)

Les

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I guess it was nothing more than a neat idea! Sounds expensive and a little dangerous! When I went to Poland, I had family and access to a car. AND they drove on the same Sid of he road as we do here in the colonies! Thank you all for the info, I think we'll look into a rental car.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Firea100, just remember and iron clad rule and requirement :readit: to being a member of this site.

If you go to Ireland, WE GET PICS!!! :lash:

·
Bringer of Shenanigans
1,031 Posts
If you are driving around on some of the back roads of Ireland, watch out for the cow and sheep traffic jams. You can come up on them really quick. Although it is fun watching the dogs try and herd the car.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
I guess it was nothing more than a neat idea! Sounds expensive and a little dangerous! When I went to Poland, I had family and access to a car. AND they drove on the same Sid of he road as we do here in the colonies! Thank you all for the info, I think we'll look into a rental car.

CJ and I went overseas last summer!! We were going to ship our bike, but like Wexy said.....waaaayyyy too expensive and you can't get insurance. We rented a motorcycle in Italy (Amazing trip), tried to rent one in Manchester England (broke down) and ended up renting a car. Much, much easier. When we got to Ireland, we stayed with Wexy for a few days and he helped get us a rental car and mapped out an amazing route!! It's definitely the way to go! The only thing I highly recommend.....make sure you pay for FULL coverage when renting. It payed off for us!! Most of all....go and have a great time!! There is sooooo much to see! Absolutely a beautiful country!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.