Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My travel trunk on this 84 1200 is all broken at the bottom. Doe anyone have any tips or suggestions for repair? Epoxy? Glue? Plastic welding? Reinforcing? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Glenn

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

Glenn,

They make a fiber glass impregnated bondo that is great for this kind of job! I've repaired luggage with it before. When done properly, it's as strong or stronger than the original.

• Sand smooth.
  • Use a grinder to make 1/8"-1/4" gouges along all cracks.
  • mix & apply fiber glass impregnated bondo to cracks (Note: you can apply a layer on the bottom to reinforce the base)

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Is it "Cracked" or has "small pieces" missing and is on the bottom where you can't see it ?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Glenn Heller wrote:
My travel trunk on this 84 1200 is all broken at the bottom. Doe anyone have any tips or suggestions for repair? Epoxy? Glue? Plastic welding? Reinforcing? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Glenn
fiberglass cloth glued down with ABS cement will do the job. Epoxy will do it. Whatever you use be sure to scuff the bottom of the trunk for better adhesion. Here's some information on motorcycle plastic repair and products to do the job.

http://www.urethanesupply.com/street.html

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

The plastic glue in Mr.1200's link works good. I have not tried it on Goldwing plastic, but have used it on other stuff. I found it at Walmart.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

I like solarez. It's a light activated Polyester resin. I did the bottom of my 1100 trunk and it was still holding when I sold it 5 years and 100,000 miles later. I got soem new fiber re-inforced stuff from them to fix the front fender mounts on my 1800. It was strong stuff too. The nice thing about it is you can form it and move it around in low light sitiuations as much as you want. Once you're happy with it just expose it to sunlight and in less than 5 minutes you're set! UV light can be used in hard to reach places.

http://solarez.com/

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

It is on the bottom where you cannot see it. There are very few small pieces missing, mostly cracks. Thanks to everyone who has replied.

Glenn

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
imported post

I had good luck using a 5 minute Epoxy and a drywall repair tape. The tape is in a roll, made out of fiberglassI guessand is adhesive. I cleaned the surface with 3M adhesive remover, mixed up a small batch of 5 minute epoxy and repaired the cracks one at a time. I put down a layer of epoxy on the crack, put the repair tape on top of the epoxy and then put the remainder of the epoxy on top. The finished repair is good and holding.

I may try the ABS Plastic repair the next time.

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

I reenforced the entire bottomof mine by adding a couple of layers of fiber glass cloth. Seemed to work OK

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Noprmal epoxy tends to flake away from the plastic eventually and fibreglass just doesn't bond to plastic at all. ABS repair such as the stuff UPol make or the EC item and othersis the way to go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.