Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

If you are planning a long extended ride and will be using your credit card for everything be sure to call your card provider and let them know your plans. I didn't and didn't know I needed to. We were on a 4500 mile ride through 10 states and on the eighth day,1100 miles from home and on our way home, our credit cards were rejected. It was Saturday and the 4th of July, the creditcard offices were closed. We had $100 in cash and 2 days to ride. Oh s**t now what. We figured we would stop at Wal-Mart get some bologne and bread to eat and sleep in a roadside park. We had our camping gear. When we stopped at Wal-Mart I asked if they cashed checks for over the purchase amount. Yes but for only 20 dollars. Well we hit 3 registers and got enough cash to get a motel. That left enough cash for fuel and food. Made it home with change to spare. Turned out the card company had tried to call but our to our home #. They stopped them for abnormal activity. BEWARE

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

had that happen right after I got home from Calhoun last year.... what a PITA... glad you made it home (despite that TALL windshield

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
imported post

We were on a long ride a couple of weeks back and had one of the gas cards I was using rejected at the pump. I had to go into the station so they could see it was really me using the card. Reason given: more than usual use. Good to know they watch for that.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

kyboy67 wrote:
And hey thats a story you can tell no one will every match most likely...

nope happened to me last year as well....

lucky they have my cell# which I had with me and straightened them outand I had no problems after that. Was Pi#$$ed at first but on reflection I think its a good thing ( except BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING!!!)

they freely admit to tuning ads sent to you based on your spending habits\

Just call them before you leave and they will note that ( at least that's what they said last year)

·
Banned
85 Posts
imported post

It happen to me last year when paying the hotel bill in Prague, Czech Republic, I was told by Visa that you need to let us know when you are traveling even in US.

That was a lot of fun.:shock::shock::shock:

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

I tried to buy some chrome wheels for my bike online and American Express (no preset limit) rejected it. Pissed me off. I like that they are watching things but I did not see anything unusual about the transaction. After I called them they said they wanted to make sure it was me. Too late as I had to use another card. I think they are protecting themselves more than protecting the customer, because you are not liable for unauthorized charges, they are.

·
Banned
85 Posts
imported post

kyboy67 wrote:
Well if you look at the bright side of it,it's good to know they were watching out for you.
The credit card companies could care less about you, They have to eat the charges if an unauthorized user spends on your card, you must not have a credit card in you neck of the woods:D

·
Premium Member
64,580 Posts
imported post

I just got back from a trip.. Called the C/C co. told them where I was going.. Third day out I can't buy Chevron gas at the pump.. Called C/C Co. and cut the guy on the other end a new path.. I find out it's Chevron that shut me off not C/C Co.. I was using too much of Chevron's gas at too many different location.. After a few choice words with Chevron I've wrote them off my list..

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

kyboy67 wrote:
Well if you look at the bright side of it,it's good to know they were watching out for you.
If I am 1100 miles away drom home with no cash I don't give a squatif they are looking out for me. This could have been a disaster. I told them so when I got home. I made sure they knew I would be traveling this summer and never to cut me off. You don't know how pissed I was.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Oops, right you are on that score and thanks for reminding me to do just that; Inform the Card Man of the trip north and back.

Got caught last year and what a pain.

Longboater

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

Happened to me in Las Vegas few years back happen to have another card. Glad you brought that to my attention dingdong I had forgotten.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

Foodman wrote:
I just got back from a trip.. Called the C/C co. told them where I was going.. Third day out I can't buy Chevron gas at the pump.. Called C/C Co. and cut the guy on the other end a new path.. I find out it's Chevron that shut me off not C/C Co.. I was using too much of Chevron's gas at too many different location.. After a few choice words with Chevron I've wrote them off my list..
I NEVER use chevron in the States they don't recognise Cdn cards at the pump They expect me to tramp in and leave my card with some kid behind the counter while I go back out and gas up NO THANKS

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
imported post

dingdong wrote:
1100 miles from home and on our way home, our credit cards were rejected. It was Saturday and the 4th of July, the creditcard offices were closed. BEWARE
i've had that happen a few times even though i had called to let them know i would be traveling

all it took to resolve the problem was another phone call and answer a few questions, i never heard of a creditcard being closed on weekends or holidays

they must have gotten used to my habits because they have not turned off my cardin the pastfew years and i don't bother to call and let them know when i'm traveling anymore,i figureit is a good idea to carry more than one card just incase

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

ccsailor wrote:
I NEVER use chevron in the States they don't recognise Cdn cards at the pump They expect me to tramp in and leave my card with some kid behind the counter while I go back out and gas up NO THANKS
So that's what it was all about last year in Vegas. Got quite fed up with Chevron. No problems anywhere else.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Card companies are set up so the computer will notice how you use your card, your pattern, and where. When it starts seeing debits from out of the norm it will let it go until it starts seeing several from different places that sends up a red flag. It's for both your and their protection however inconvenient it becomes. We just have to remember to let them know you are going to do something out of the ordinary. Now if they cut it off, give them a double barrow.:shock:

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

My credit card provider is my credit union. Therfore closed on holidays.

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
imported post

dingdong wrote:
My credit card provider is my credit union. Therfore closed on holidays.

one of my creditcards is also through a credit union but it has a toll free number on the back for the actual creditcard company, i pretty sure they have folks answering the phone 24 hours a day 7 days a week

just hope u get to talk to someone that actually speaks decent english :shock:

good idea to carry 2 creditcards from different companies just incase something goes wrong along the way

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.