Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

When the weather hits the 20s my battery drains overnight. Will it hurt the stator or anything else if I trickle charge overnight with the battery hooked up, or should I disconnect the battery?

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
imported post

Just buy a battery tender. Attach the perminate leads to the battery and plug r in whenever it's parked and it will carge and stop charging after it's full. Just google, battery tender that's the brand name. Cost around $25. Adds life to your battery.I recommend it to everyone!!!

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

Probably wont't hurt anything but, if you don't get a new battery soon you will going dead permanetly. JMO

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

It's a brand new battery. It holds a great charge until the 20s come overnight. I thought it was little strange. This weekend I did the stator and rectifier checks and all was well. I will have to look into the battery tender.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

Dude, Keep it in the bedroom.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Hi Sissom, When you buy a new battery, you are suppose to charge the battery overnight to a full charge. when you first get it, did you do this? is the battery the kind you have to put in water, or is it maintance free? If not maintance free, after you have charged it overnight check the water level. And by the way,do not use tap water unless you must.let us know how it went.:waving: :)

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Leave the battery connected to a trickle charge,preferably one that shuts down automatically upon full charge. They cost about $50 at a bike store. I think they call them "battery tenders".

·
Premium Member
3,771 Posts
imported post

You can buy an automatic battery charger (battery tender) at Wal-Mart for $20 Don't use a trickle charger. They will over charge the battery if you forget it. You need one that turns on and off automatically when needed. Also no more than 1.5 amp charge rate. They come with a permanent connector with plug that you can leave hooked up to the battery. I've been using one for three years.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

I keep a Battery Tender JR. on mine 24/7 when I'm not riding it. I have the leads hooked to the battery and a plug ty-wrapped to the bottom of the rear saddlebag guard. When I park the bike I plug the Tender to this and plug the Tender in to the wall receptacle. If the bike sits there two weeks then its on charge the whole two weeks. As WingD mentioned, I think it adds life to the battery. I replaced my 5+ year old battery this past summer, not because it was dead but because it was that old and I didn't want to risk a trip out to the midwest with the old battery. When I am riding my bike I hook this same tender to the battery I removed and within a few minutes it's fully charged so it is in reality an almost six year old good battery.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I meant that you want a tender. Seems like I paid more than $20, but everything is cheap at Walmart.

Dan is correct; don't assume a new battery is good. I had a new one that had a crack. Also, batteries can freeze if it gets too cold and the specific gravity is low / no charge.

If I am not riding, I yank the battery and bring it into a place 50-70 dge F. I have gotten 5 plus years out of them that way.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I took the battery back to have it load tested. They said it tested fine, but offerd a replacement. Took the replacement home. When I opened the box I realized that it was packaged different than the previous one (of the same brand, and from the same store). The first one had been unwraped for some reason. When I added the electrolites to the first one I had MAJOR bubbles form. The new one had few bubbles (like I think it should be). When I get home today I'm taking the new one off the charger. Hopefully tomorrow morning I'm riding the wing to work again! Thanks for the quick info. I priced a tender locally and it is $19.99 before tax. Come payday I'll have a new addition to the garage.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I use that battery tender for my 1994 Lincoln too. It's got 16,000 miles. I put on 300 miles on it this year. Haven't driven it since early November.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
imported post

dingdong wrote:
You can buy an automatic battery charger (battery tender) at Wal-Mart for $20 Don't use a trickle charger. They will over charge the battery if you forget it. You need one that turns on and off automatically when needed. Also no more than 1.5 amp charge rate. They come with a permanent connector with plug that you can leave hooked up to the battery. I've been using one for three years.
Dingdong,,, Congrats on that new 93 Wing.. Just noticed it on your response. Hope it's not tooooo good to ride with us low lifes.... lol..
Way to go Tom!

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

Do you mean you dont keep your bike in a heated garage? Would you let your kids sleep in an unheated room at night? I think not. It sounds like goldwing neglect to me. Take care of this problem immediately or we will have to report you to the authorities.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

With the new battery it started right up this morning. It was just above freezing. Hopefully all problems solved. As the no heat in the garage: I know it is abuse, but I do the best I can. I tuck her in and tell her a bedtime story about warm sunny drives in the mountians.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I do not know if the battery really looses the charge when it gets really cold. I know there is a rating CCA and that the battery's CCAs goes down with temperature. But, at 20F, I do not know why you are riding but I am from Texas.

When I was young and lived up northin really cold weather, I had three vehicles that basically had a dead battery and would not start. Could not jump any of them, so I took out the ice battery and let it warm up in the house. Took it back outside in the freezing cold and it spun the engine and started up like normal.

There are battery warmer, block heaters, and oil heater. There is a little debateon what is better. I like the idea of a battery warmer.

Again, the MC batteries are a little small and does not seem to be sized accordingly in comparison to an automobile. Space is limited. Odyssey are higher amps that help out.

Maybe our northern buddies in the great white north can give us a little insite.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

Given that it's about 15 degrees here in Minneapolis today, maybe I qualify as a "Northern expert."

Battery Tender all the way. I have always kept my bikes plugged in whenever I'm not riding, whether it's overnight or over winter. No problems at all. And with the variety of models that company produces, there's one for just about any budget. All the best, Dick

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.