Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I followed the advise on trickle charging the Goldwing in your tech tips. Works like a charm. Very easy to accomplish with limited mechanical ability. Thanks! Rich

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

Hi Rich. MAny of us are converted to using an Optimate or similar. I leave mine connected to the Wing all the time it is not being used. I'd say it doubles the life of the battery, I know many people who get 4 or 5 years (one guy with a 1997 SE still has the original battery fitted) from a battery when others are lucky to get 2 years from theirs with no Optimate.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey Rich Steinel :waving: Your very welcome to the forum and visit often. :clapper:The trickle charging is the way to go. :jumper:

:coollep: :18red: :coollep:

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

A Battery Tender or Optimate is money well spent. Leave it connected to the battery all the time when not using the bike and just forget about it.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

I've considered using one of those lighter-plug in solar chargers, low wattage. Would that be the same thing, or will that cause me trouble? I know it won't work at night, but other than that...?

Jack

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

jsmith24 wrote:
I've considered using one of those lighter-plug in solar chargers, low wattage. Would that be the same thing, or will that cause me trouble? I know it won't work at night, but other than that...?

Jack
I haven't seen those. Any idea where I can get more information on them Jack? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
imported post

Jack the plug in solar chargers work really well,even on cloudy days, our hunt camp has a couple of them and keep batteries fully charged for use at night. the best thing is they are less them $40 bucks.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
imported post

JDuggan wrote:
jsmith24 wrote:

Jack
I haven't seen those. Any idea where I can get more information on them Jack? Thanks.
Here are two:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44768
(this one is small enough to fit inside the GL1100 windscreen, esp. if you have the speakers and gauges to rest it on)

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=41144
(this one is a bit larger)

Chief43...do you think the smaller one would be sufficient for a daily rider? I ride mine just about continuously, save for snow and rainy days, which seem to come in threes here. :)

The smaller one is small enough to rig a permanent mount inside my windscreen without really impeding vision or handlebar movement, and would be my first choice. Then I could just connect it through a diode or switch and never worry about hooking up an "external" unit, if you get my meaning.

Jack

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

That 1.5 volt unit would be plenty to keep your battery topped up when not in use. I'm wondering if they are waterproof, otherwise rain getting into the unit would probably short out your battery.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
imported post

I keep mine plugged in when it's in the garage. The battery is always hot and ready to go. Even started in the cold winter weather.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.