Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I getting my 1500 ready to go night night for the winter. I've changed the oil and filter, Filled gas tank and added seafoam to the gas. Waxed her up good. Put on my trickle charger, Now here is my question.

With the trickle charger hooked up to the battery while still on the bike, Is it safe to cover her up with the bike cover. I've never seen this discussed before, I'm just nervousif the batterycharging would cause any sort of gases that might be lethel to the bike cover or the seat cover. The battery is a computron sealed battery. Should I be concerned or nothing to be worried about.? Also should I disconnect the battery from my bike?

Thanks Guys in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

You refer to your charger as a trickle charger. A trickle charger is not good to leave hooked up all the time. You need a smart charger like a Deltran battery tender. They stop charging completely when the battery is fully charged. They then only come back on when the battery needs a little to bring it back to full charge. These type of chargers minimize the production of any gases and can be left connected all the time...

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

:doh:I used the wrong words :(, itis a Battery Tender Plus Smart Charger.

My fault, You can't give good information :?:baffled:if I don't give yougood information :shock:. I apoligize :doh: :doh:It must be a Senior moment. That's good news about being able to leave it connected while covered up.

Thanks, Retiredintime.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

You can get one for about $5 at Harbor Freight.

It won't produce out gassing so you can leave the cover on. Although you can still have gas fumes build up so make sure there is at least a small amount of venting in the cover going on.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

It's always important to have a cover vented at the top. Water vapor rises and will condense on the upper inside of an airtight cover promoting high humidity inside the cover with it's attendant corrosion risk. A battery tender normally doesn't produce enough hydrogen outgassing from the battery to worry about and hydrogen is thinner than a fart, it will pass easily through most cloth unless it's vinyl coated and seam sealed. It is a better practice to remove the battery from the bike if it's to be laid up for any long length of time, that will help prevent acid vapor corrosion in the battery box.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

It can sometimes be difficult to be sure that a "smart" battery charger is smart enough and I wrecked a battery once by leaving on charge over winter using what I thought was a safe charger. It was designed to hold the battery at something like 13 volts.

Any charger which holds the charge by sustaining a continuous voltage (over 12.6 or so) across the terminals will inevitably cause some gassing to occur, so that eventually the battery fluid level falls, the plates get exposed and the battery suffers damage. My battery was irrecoverably damaged after being left on charge for about four months with this type of charger, even though it was sold specifically for bikes as an automatic charger. (The small print on the charger's leaflet did say that it wasn't safe to leave on charge continuously, so it was my own fault.)

The really smart chargers stop charging altogether once a full charge has been achieved, then every so often they automatically apply a limited "pulse" of voltage, enough to maintain full charge and keep the battery in good shape without risk of any significant gassing.

CTEK chargers fall into this completely safe category and they are sold on both sides of the Atlantic. No doubt there are others but read the small print carefully before buying to make sure that an "autoomatic" charger is genuinely safe for continuous connection. I have left a CTEK charger connected to a laid-up bike's battery (still installed on the bike) for well over a year without any visible drop in battery fluid level.

Stuart

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

wsmith,

I have a "smart charger" that I purchased at Auto Zone, and I usually hook it up at least 2 times a week on my battery, and yes, it is a good idea to disconnect the battery if you dont have a smart charger, because some ciruits (Including CB)can easily be damaged. I also keep another battery with me when I ride, and I also swap it out on the charger. Make SURE you check theElectrolite Levels, and add distilled water to keep it full, (DO NOT USE TAP WATER or ACID) and to lube your connectors while the Wing is sitting to avoid rusting, and after winter, make sure you clean the battery terminals to get the tarnish film off of the terminals.

As for the cover, do you leave it in a garage covered, or outside? If it is left in a garage, I would not cover it. Some say that using a cover is bad even outside because they can mold easily, but I have never seen this before, but the person who told me this was my cousin who owns a Harly.

Hope this helps,

Nightrider1

wsmith21 wrote:
I getting my 1500 ready to go night night for the winter. I've changed the oil and filter, Filled gas tank and added seafoam to the gas. Waxed her up good. Put on my trickle charger, Now here is my question.

With the trickle charger hooked up to the battery while still on the bike, Is it safe to cover her up with the bike cover. I've never seen this discussed before, I'm just nervousif the batterycharging would cause any sort of gases that might be lethel to the bike cover or the seat cover. The battery is a computron sealed battery. Should I be concerned or nothing to be worried about.? Also should I disconnect the battery from my bike?

Thanks Guys in advance.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

I take out the battery and hook up a Battery Tender. It's in an enclosed trailer, so no cover.

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

OK now, am I the only one in here that looks forward to a cold ride when the sun warms and dries the road between snowbanks?:snowman::15red::snowman:

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks Guys for all the responses. I disconnected the battery and got it hook up to my smart charger. It is in my garage but I still like to keep it covered because of the dust that seems to settle on it over the winter. Winterizing my bike is like getting my boat shrinkwrapped for the winter, I do it at the last minute, because I know once I do it the cold weather is on its way. I'm not a cold weather fan.

But anyhow

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

Same here, but I leave mine in the shed, start it daily, and run throug the gears at a low to normal rpm, and it keeps everything lubed, but U do not run the trickle charge wnen I do it. On warmer days, I can usually ride it.

Nightrider1

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.