Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

AZgl posted this in the octane thread:
"I noted a few guys have mentioned their 88/89 1500s seem to ping on 87 octane.

I just got to wondering if those particular bikes had the 4 degree wheel installed? If so, that would enhance the tendency to ping."

I read somewhere that the 4 degree wheel only worked on the 88 and 89 models, just after I ordered and received it:( What was done on the '90 model to change that and from what frame number. Mine is marked as as being made in 1990, but it could still have the 88/89 configuration. Is there a cut off date or frame number to check or should I just fit it 'just in case'?

·
Premium Member
3,813 Posts
imported post

The 1988 and 1989 Gold Wing's had an "off-idle" hesitation. Honda did not do a recall but they did issue a service bulletin (with modifications) to the dealerships. When customers returned and complained, the modification was applied under warranty. It was mainly carburetor and timing associated modifications.

For the 1990 Gold Wing's, Honda made carburetor and timing changes that resolved the problem. This applies for all 1990 Gold Wing's. I had one............!

What some owners have done is install a 4 degree pulse rotor (trigger wheel) that advances the timing and slightly increases the RPM's at idle. This did not resolve the off-idle hesitation but it did mask the problem making it less noticeable.

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Thanks DB,
Mine has a hesitation and this is annoying at low revs but it may be a carb balance problem, filter, plugs are all new.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.