This would be what I need---

WGG-C Capri 80-82
Fairmont 79-82
Mustang 80-82
Zephyr 79-82 2.73 6.75 NL 25 -

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have 3 possible locations for a set of gear left I have not heard back from.
Man, I am coming up dry on gears! Lets look at this another way, what size tires are you running right now?

·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Not sure what size they are. been real busy replacing my incoming service. I'll take a look tomorrow and respond after work. Now if i put larger tires on it, That will in theory raise the back up and change the handling.

·
Registered
541 Posts
can you lower it back down via the airbags?
The minor amount of rake change by raising the rear will actually make it steer easier, in theory but I highly doubt you will see a difference

Heard back from one of the three, no gears

·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #145
Yes i can adjust the rear ride height pretty easy with the bag. The problem is adjusting the fender height to look correct, I do have a lot of travel. I actually dropped the front of the fender lower than the original position due to the ride height being very low (clearance) at which point the clearance between the top of the tire and fender mad it look like a 4X4 trike.

·
Registered
541 Posts
What you have now is a 25" tall tire, to change overall gearing without swapping gears you need a 28" tire.
Be nice if you could find(borrow) a pair to bolt on and see how it pulls

Going to a 235/75-15 would give you a 17% decrease in RPM at a given speed. Keeping your present tire and changing the gear from a 3.08 to a 2.72 would only give you 13% decrease in RPM

·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Not sure how you got your figures but it works for me. As a tech inspector at two local dirt tracks with one of them racing mustangs..................I know i have a selection of tire sizes with wheels that will fit the rear end. However the only choice for rims would be 14" ! No one offers a 15" rim in four lug.

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
Not sure how you got your figures but it works for me. As a tech inspector at two local dirt tracks with one of them racing mustangs..................I know i have a selection of tire sizes with wheels that will fit the rear end. However the only choice for rims would be 14" ! No one offers a 15" rim in four lug.

What about using a 4 to 5 lug wheel adapter to move to a 15" wheel. That would allow great choice of tire sizes.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
O:k. I want to tackle the hard steering issue first I guess before moving onto the ratio. One thing I thought about earlier was the f-tire. I'm not sure if I have bias or radial. I'm sure I want a radial on the front.
I would recommend a bias they tend to ride softer and can do with less air than a radial.
The Bridgestone BT45R is a really good bias.

Offset trees will help with the 30 degrees of rake by lessening the trail (doesn't change the rake) however the added 4-6 degrees of tube angle will cause more sticktion and therefore slightly harsher ride. The extra angle will also lower the front slightly so you may also wish to go with extenders.
Unfortunately you can't change the rake without cutting the frame head but the above changes will help a bit.
In general with the 1-2 conversions you just get used to the hard steering in time.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Absolutely MC radials are nothing like auto radials. Actually the mc bias is a closer match than the radials. Problem with MC radials is they are hard as rocks and ride pretty rough because of that.
You can mix and match tires on a motorcycle all you want as it does not matter.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used 84 Ford Ranger rear/axles, 4 bolt, 15 x 7 on my trike. Tire size is 215/65/15. If my rims Mustang, 4 bolt) were a bit narrower (6") I would have used 205/70/15. But the difference wasn't that much as I changed gearing to 3.00. If needed one can re-drill the axle, install 4 studs. We're not running 600 horsepower on these trikes.

Run rear tire pressures from lows of 12-16 (left/right) to 20/22-24 (left/right) and front tire (40). Rear air shocks about 40-ish lbs. Front air fork pressure: 5-6 lbs.

My trike is a 1985 GL1200 Aspencade, narrowed Ford Ranger rear with a 1996-8 GL1500 MotorTrike body. Also installed 5 degree steering. I built it in 2008 and is still running great.

B3r2

·
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
I am at 40 front. 20 LR 22 RR. Have not been out yet to try it. Have not done the air fittings yet for front forks. Blue3 how did you do your 5 degree? A new tree or cut and weld the head. And I did forget about the ranger runs 15" on four lug.

·
Registered
13 Posts
jammer, bought 5 deg. tree (expensive for GL1200...GL1500 are cheaper). Had too as the wife drives the trike. ;-) Like I said...try those pressures and lower rear more IF needed. I still worry about your air bag. Just a bit much as a auto bag (7" size ) is enough for all weights carried. Only need in the range of 20-30lb pressure.

Leaving for supper right now. Get back later on FaceBook.

B3r2

·
Registered
541 Posts
4 lug on Ranger? Never seen one, yet. There were 4 lug 15" wheels for Mustang and Capri. My 78 Fairmont had 4 lug 15" wheels

141 - 160 of 185 Posts