Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all there,s a company only 25 mile away here in the uk doing the tri wing,trike conversions.Not been down for a look yet,but as the company that builds them is based in the US ,wondered if anyone had this conversion.;)

Regards

Alan

·
Just one of the guys
4,774 Posts
imported post

I did the Tri-Wing conversion this past spring.

The components all are of good quality. The fiberglass is all nice and smooth, the top deck of the fiberglass is over a sheet of plywood so it is plenty strong. I like the way it looks.

I did move the axle back on the frame from what the instructions called for, it looks a lot better that way. I have the body as far forward as I reasonably could get it and the tires were not centered in the wheel wells until I moved it back.

It is a solid axle. Some folks prefer the independent suspension.

One thing about it that is a bit different, the new swing arm that comes with the kit is 2 pieces that mount on the outside of the bike frame. The passenger boards are mounted on the swing arm and these work just fine, my wife is happy. The issue comes with the driver's feet. The forward part of the swing arm is very close to my heels when my feet are on the pegs. I can't move my feet back if I want to. Also if you have driver's foot board you could have issues getting your feet comfortable. I use pegs and am fine with it but you would do well to find one to try out before you buy. A side note, having the swing arms on the outside of the frame certainly looks like it is stronger that way.

The best advice overall is that if you can, ride several then make your choice.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

:)Thanks for the reply Doug,I wont be doin the conversion myself its a fairly local company doing the conversions.I take it the axle uses the original air suspension.2 up how do you find the ride.I dont have footboards on front, just footrest.The reason for the trike conversion i have disability issues so money is quite tight,as this conversion comes with a body kit for the money its just in my budget.All the other conversions with a body and indepdent suspensionstart at £8000 +.Which at present is unavaiable:(.If the build qualities fine and i can enjoy wind in the hair again:Dwill be happy:action:

ALAN

·
Just one of the guys
4,774 Posts
imported post

The ride is good enough. You do have to watch driveway entrances and such and try to hit the dip with both rear tires at the same time or the trike will toss back and forth a bit. It is something you get used to.

It requires the shocks to be matched, there is no longer a single piece swing arm, there are 2 separate ones that connect to the axle. I bought a pair of progressive air shocks as those are about the only ones I could find that would fit. They are a bit stiff by nature so if you want a softer ride you may want to look for something else, there may be some available over there that are not available here. It uses a 13 1/2 inch shock. Air shocks ar highly recommended so you can adjust the ride based on the load and road.

Other expenses that are not included in the basic kit are tires and rims. Tri-wing recommends zero offset rims. I only found a couple of set and they were very pricey so I went with some that are .35 offset. They are very close to the swing arm even with the spacers Tri-Wing provided so be watchful of the offset.

Be sure the price you are given includes everything, not just for the kit or it might be more than you expect when all is said and done.

I did a post on the conversion here;

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=70578&forum_id=4&jump_to=736636#p736636

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Hi doug phoned the trike conversion company this morning they have a goldwing conversion they are doing at the moment so going to go down for a look next week.The conversion is £3995 complete with rims and tyres,paint is £465,tow bar is £120,drum brakes can be upgraded to disc brakes £400,but will prob stick with drums.When i go next weekwill discuss about the shocks as its a back problem i ve got so will want a smooth ride.Thanks for that link now i ve seen pictures of your trike its definately the same body.

ALAN

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

:)Went to trike builder yesterday,finished trike as reconditioned shortened axle,new hub brakes,new shocks,choice of 2 sizes of boot space,going for largersize,tow bar.Nice body with matching 2 tone paint.nice pair of alloy wheels and tyres.Not a penny is asked for till finished trike arrives back completed.Soon as funding is sorted will get it triked then can enjoy life on the open road again:action::action:

ALAN

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

Howya big al59

Just toying with the idea of triking my GW .Did you go ahead with yours ? and whats the name of the company ?

Cheers

MW

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

My conversion is a Tri-Wing. Its great because of its simplicity. Easy to work on any very sturdy. The rear is a modified Mustang II.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hi MW not had it done yet;

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
imported post

Thanks Alan

When you get a look at their 1500 conversion I'd really appreciate a couple of pics.we're going through the same financial s**t hereso if I do trike mine it'll be late 2009 orearly next year.I need to check out insurance and motor tax also.Thanks for the info o far.

Best of luck :leprechaun:

Eric

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

Just to advise - a Belgian member of this forum had a very bad experience with that company sometime last year.

Have just been searching for the thread but can't find it.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

hi paul was it with the build or customer service.

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

As I said, searched for the thread 'cos the guy asked for UK help checking the company out as phones weren't answered etc. Can't find the thread but its in here somewhere.

If memory serves, the guy bought a kit and when he got it, it didn't fit properly and looked home made. He checked with tri wing (if that was the kit manufacturer then) and they had never heard of him. It seems that if it's the same outfit (can't believe there are two set ups in Bradford) they were copying a kit. I think they did eventually sort it out for the Belgian guy, but only after alot of chasing.

Might be worth checking with Tri wing that it is cosher.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
imported post

I have a 2000 Goldwing GL1500 SE Tri-Wing Classic conversion which I purchased in May. It had 20,000 miles on it and I have added 7300 since. I have made several modifications to it. I changed the headlights to HID which is not very difficult as I found a kit and H4 templates to convert it.

I have also modified it so that it can accept 215/70-16 tires without scraping the fenders. The reason I increased the wheel size is that it changes the final drive speed. I get 5 mph more at the same rpm.

I have changed to Progressive 416 Airshocks as they give me the lift and the stiffness I need to use the oversize tires.

I have added floorboards and a heel & toe shifter. I had to modify the floorboard kit slightly so that I can shift comfortably.

My next project will be to rake the front fork 4.5 deg. Champion Conversions makes a triple tree marketed as EZ-Steer with the 4.5 deg rake for $995 US. I am working with a company called Wingstuff for my after market parts as I have gotten the best pricing through them for my orders.

If you have any questions you may PM me and I will explain further. I will also post some photos as soon as I can get hold of our camera. I have also been in touch with TriWing Industries and have gotten a lot of valuable information. What I am looking for is a set of installation instructions. If someone has a set that he/she can copy and post I would really appreciate it as I could not get one from TriWing.

This is the link for TriWing in BC

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
imported post

I emailed TriWing a few weeks ago. They appear to be a small outfit and don't have a showroom. However I have only heard good things about them! Their business is not too far from me but I've never found it!

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Darlene from Tri-wing phoned us fri evening and after friendly informative chat about the kit i placed order for DX Cruiser kit.Which will be shipped over in next couple weeks.

Think i will be also be fitting 416 proggresive shock absorbers as got a very reasonable quote off company in US.

And like the idea of being able to adjust the load for varying road and load condions with the onboard compressor.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.