Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
67,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I was talking to a guy with a 1800 TRIKE.. Asked him about his front tire.. It looked wide.. He said a bunch of his club members with trikes were using them.. It was a Michelin Activ 130/80/17 Bias rear tire for a sport bike.. It was mounted backward to the rotation arrows.. He said they checked with the Michelin rep and he said it wasn't a problem.. He claimed the guys were get over 30k on the front tire.. Anyone ever heard of this ??
 

·
Just one of the guys
Joined
·
4,833 Posts
imported post

That's what I have on mine. It has only been on there for this summer but it seems to work well. Have to keep plenty of air in it or it will cup just like any other front tire.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
67,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

Well I'll be darn.. Here I thought the guy was nut's.. Your right I forgot I think he said he runs 45 lbs in the tire..
 

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
Joined
·
61,642 Posts
imported post

Isn't that what Dave0430 is using on the front of his bike anyway?
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
27,914 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Isn't that what Dave0430 is using on the front of his bike anyway?
That is correct John. I got the idea when I saw one on a trike. I like the way it rides and handles but it does cup pretty bad on the 2 wheeler. It just plain won't wear in the middle where a trike would wear out a regular front tire in no time.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
952 Posts
imported post

My last front tire was an MPA mounted so it rotated forward. I got a little over 15,000 before it started cupping. Now I have a bridgestone Battleaxe BT45 rear tire mounted running forward balanced with Dyna beads. 8000 on it so far and no problems. If that guys got 45lbs air in his hes running it too high. 41s the norm. On my Bridgestone I run 38 with Progressive springs in the front end.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
67,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
AZgl1500 wrote:
Isn't that what Dave0430 is using on the front of his bike anyway?
That is correct John. I got the idea when I saw one on a trike. I like the way it rides and handles but it does cup pretty bad on the 2 wheeler. It just plain won't wear in the middle where a trike would wear out a regular front tire in no time.
So you've been doing this all along on a 2 wheeler?? I would have never thought of it.. That tire is inexpensive $115. compare to the Avon $147. I just ordered.. It handles the turns OK ?? When did the cupping start ??
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
27,914 Posts
imported post

Foodman wrote:
DaveO430 wrote:
AZgl1500 wrote:
Isn't that what Dave0430 is using on the front of his bike anyway?
That is correct John. I got the idea when I saw one on a trike. I like the way it rides and handles but it does cup pretty bad on the 2 wheeler. It just plain won't wear in the middle where a trike would wear out a regular front tire in no time.
So you've been doing this all along on a 2 wheeler?? I would have never thought of it.. That tire is inexpensive $115. compare to the Avon $147. I just ordered.. It handles the turns OK ?? When did the cupping start ??
It's even cheaper than that from DennisKirk.com - Motorcycle, Harley-Davidson, ATV, Dirt Bike, Snowmobile, PWC / Watercraft Parts, Apparel, and Accessories
The cupping starts pretty early in it's life but I put up with the noise in corners because I like the handling so much, I'm on the second one but I may try something else next time though. Thinking Pirelli sport demon.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,025 Posts
imported post

A friend of mine that has a GL1800 trike had to something like that. I dont remember the brand tire but she said she had to put a rear tire on the front of the trike to get any mileage out of the tire mounted on the front.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
50 Posts
imported post

That is the same one that I have on my 1800. I has a similar one on my 1500 and I got 27000 miles on it before it started cupping! I think that it is the best choice.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11 Posts
imported post

You can get a Battleax 45 a little cheaper than the Michelin. They are constructed the same...both are a duel compound tire.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
90 Posts
imported post

the only part i don't understand is why mount it in reverse ? yes i've heard the urban legend that some Michelin rep said thats the best way but i just don't believe it
friend of mine had one with 28,000 miles still in pretty decent shape but a nail punctured it so he just replaced it
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
27,914 Posts
imported post

cycledude wrote:
the only part i don't understand is why mount it in reverse ?
It is supposed to have better braking traction in wet conditions when mounted backward. The same reason why the tread on a regular front tire is opposite the tread on the rear. I run mine forward, the first one I ran backward and it cupped real quick so I turned it around.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
27,914 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,509 Posts
imported post

i plan to do the same thing once I get the sidecar mounted plus run a car tire on the rear.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top