Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I am approaching a "slightly older age" (66), I'm seriously considering installation of a trike kit on my 2000 SE. Been looking at the Insta Trike from Tow Kit, as well as the Voyager kit. If anyone has had experience with either or both, I'd really appreciate good, as well as not so good, feedback, as both are a little on the costly side! When I am about to make such an investment, it really helps to get the facts straight!

Thanks in advance for any help!:)

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
A couple things come to mind. First, good on you realizing you may need a trike someday soon. I love ours, and I used to swear I'd never ride one!!! Anyway, the Voyager is the only one I have any knowledge of. There is a main bolt, that goes where the center stand bolt goes. You gotta watch that bolt. They break, come loose and strip. There are a ton of them out there with no issues, but there are a number with weld repairs needed to fix a bent bolt/bracket. They are affordable, you don't butcher the wing, and there is a little "lean" in the ride. Something I lost with a full blown trike (Motortrike). Regardless, you will have a blast on a trike! They plow through the turns and can keep up with the best of em. Good luck on your decision, jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info-- I was also, as is owenrn, wondering about the steering situation.

·
Premium Member
1,799 Posts
Randy,

I'm the same age as you and myself and a few of same age buddies went down to Niehaus Cycle this summer and test rode a bunch of their trikes...

They were OK but I'm not ready to convert to one just yet... I can still hold up a GL1800, and my knees and hips are OK so far... I did buy a new (to me) 2009 GL1800 ABS this spring... I'll trike it when I think I'm ready, but not just yet ;) ... I still enjoy leaning thru those twisties :cheesygrin:

If you can afford the regular conversions, I liked the Roadsmith and California Sidecar trikes with either a 5 1/2 degree or 6 degree rake kit... Both the Roadsmith and CSC are independent suspension and IMO gave the best ride and handling...

Les

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I would check with your motor vehicle office and insurance company.

Someone did so where I live and was told that as it has four wheels on the ground it couldn't be registered as a motorcycle.

I have seen a few around here with motorcycle plates but what would happen if they were involved in an accident?
In all probability the insurance company would dump them leaving them holding the bag even if they weren't technically at fault in the accident.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I would stay away from any 'landing gear' style (retractable wheel outriggers). I rode a Wing with them years ago, and IMHO the most dangerous thing you can install on a bike.

(I posted details as to why I think this in many threads)

Bill

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
Having not rode the voyager kit cant comment on the handling.If finances will stretch to a full trike kit they will give a much improved ride quality...Getting a test ride will help in deciding what will work for you....
Try contacting the makers of ezy steer to see if they recommend fitting with the voyager kits...

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
.... etc .... Insta Trike from Tow Kit .... etc .... Voyager kit. .... etc ....
Those are not "trikes" as they actually result in 4 wheels on the road, not three .... and on uneven ground where you have three rear wheels, a drive wheel between two others .... it can get iinteresting and in some cases, pickup that center drive wheel = spin.

Seems to me that you loose what made a good motorcycle without getting that which makes a good trike IMHO. They are what they are.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
I have the tow pac insta trike kit on both my 1500 and my 1800 and the wife and I like it a lot. The only problems i have had is the bolts do loosen up and you need to keep a check on them. I have thought about using locktite on them but I have not as of yet. Just do a preride inspection along with the other stuff you would check and all is well.

I would look around for a used one which would be cheeper than a new one. I found one for my 1800 here in Alabama for less than 2k. Had it painted to match my wing for $200.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Bamaeagle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
The Voyager trike kit is the only kit that has been tested independently by an engineering firm. Having strain and stress tests done on our frame is the reason we have customers with 400,000+ miles on their Voyager.

Just make sure they hook up properly, not to any bag bars or crash bars. See here:

http://www.mtcvoyager.com/motorcycle-trike-kit-review-comparison/

We are concerned with the rider's safety and handling. If there is not a proper preload, the handling is much more difficult. If a company refuses to spend time and money to ensure the longevity of the kit under high-stress use, they do not care about the rider.

We as a company have to search out the fluff and bring the facts. That's the only way we will continue our 16 year tradition.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I would stay away from any 'landing gear' style (retractable wheel outriggers). I rode a Wing with them years ago, and IMHO the most dangerous thing you can install on a bike.

(I posted details as to why I think this in many threads)

Bill
I agree. Seeing these go down the highway just scares me.

Now, for the question I have wondered about for years:
Why not a sidecar?? Properly set, they corner like a car, with near zero lift in the corners (the hack has to weigh 1/3 of the bike, That is proper setup). I've driven them for years, set more than a couple up, and cannot for the life of me see any benefit to a trike.
A sidecar has more room.
A sidecar only tracks two, vs. three wheel tracks for a trike.
A sidecar is more stable in turns, owing much to it's wider track. A forward single trike is inherently unstable (see Artie Johnson). Plus, a sidecar can be slid through corners.
While a sidecar Can be flipped (I have done it), it takes a degree of stupidity (or alcohol, my mistake) not commonly found in Most humans.
A sidecar can be removed, leaving a bike. A trike, if it Can be reversed, takes a bunch more work. Though, to my mind, neither should be setup as convertible; it's one or the other, period.

So, I admit my biases, I'm a hacker. Tell me why I shouldn't be.

Cosmo

·
Trike Master
1,266 Posts
A sidecar is more stable in turns, owing much to it's wider track. A forward single trike is inherently unstable (see Artie Johnson). Plus, a sidecar can be slid through corners.
I would debate that statement and would challenge you(if it were not unsafe) to see which of us could corner fastest, especially hard right hand turns.
True trikes are NOT unstable. I can also power slide my trike through corners, except that's craziness to do so!
BTW, Who is Artie Johnson?????

·
Registered
18 Posts
As I am approaching a "slightly older age" (66), I'm seriously considering installation of a trike kit on my 2000 SE. Been looking at the Insta Trike from Tow Kit, as well as the Voyager kit. If anyone has had experience with either or both, I'd really appreciate good, as well as not so good, feedback, as both are a little on the costly side! When I am about to make such an investment, it really helps to get the facts straight!

Thanks in advance for any help!:)
I have the voyager trike kit on my 93 goldwing. My wife won't ride on 2 wheels so this was the only way to get her on the bike. I found a used one on Craig's list, bought the hardware kit from voyager and had my local shop install it. LOVE IT. You do have to learn how to drive a trike. That takes a little while but once used to it I wouldn't go back to 2 wheels again. They do ride and handle different. It was a good move on my part.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I would check with your motor vehicle office and insurance company.

Someone did so where I live and was told that as it has four wheels on the ground it couldn't be registered as a motorcycle.

I have seen a few around here with motorcycle plates but what would happen if they were involved in an accident?
In all probability the insurance company would dump them leaving them holding the bag even if they weren't technically at fault in the accident.
That is not an issue in Pa. The voyager trike conversion kit is a legal conversion. I took my test with my goldwing 1500 with the voyager kit installed. I had let my MC license expire because I had won't rode in years. Insurance company also has no issues with it. I have the bike and the voyager both insured in case it gets totaled both are covered.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Voyager trike kit

Those are not "trikes" as they actually result in 4 wheels on the road, not three .... and on uneven ground where you have three rear wheels, a drive wheel between two others .... it can get iinteresting and in some cases, pickup that center drive wheel = spin.

Seems to me that you loose what made a good motorcycle without getting that which makes a good trike IMHO. They are what they are.
I have a voyager trike kit on my 93 gold wing. They have their own independent suspension and there are no issues with uneven ground. I love mine. You can unhook from it if you want to ride on 2 wheels. That's what I took my trike test on in Pa. They are considered a trike in Pa. And with my insurance company, progressive, both the bike and the kit are insured.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Voyager trike kit is the only kit that has been tested independently by an engineering firm. Having strain and stress tests done on our frame is the reason we have customers with 400,000+ miles on their Voyager.

Just make sure they hook up properly, not to any bag bars or crash bars. See here:

http://www.mtcvoyager.com/motorcycle-trike-kit-review-comparison/

We are concerned with the rider's safety and handling. If there is not a proper preload, the handling is much more difficult. If a company refuses to spend time and money to ensure the longevity of the kit under high-stress use, they do not care about the rider.

We as a company have to search out the fluff and bring the facts. That's the only way we will continue our 16 year tradition.
I have the voyager trike kit on our 93 goldwing, love it. Best investment I could have made

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.