Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My Gl1500 EML trike seems to have changed MOT class a few years ago. It was tested as class III, but last three years the MOT certificate says class IV.

Thought MOT class for trikes went on weight, and that hasn't changed, so why the change in MOT class?

Am I missing something?

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Well, it's good to know government doesn't make any sense over there too.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

this is from an mot forum site.

Class 3 - 3 wheeled vehicles, not exceeding more than 450kg unladen weight.
Class 4 - Cars, including motorcaravans, dual purpose vehicles, and goods vehicles not exceeding 3000kg.

If you're wondering why I've included this table, then look again at class 3. Say for example, you've got a trike of between 450kg and 550kg (B1 licence maximum), it will need to be tested at a class 4 MOT centre. So, your trike could be classed as a motorcar, yet you're riding it under a quadracycle licence, but you need to get it tested at a car MOT centre. Got it? Good!

Not my words but I hope this explains some of your question.

Your problem of reclassing has happened since the introduction of computerised mot records. I guess this has also had some bearing on this as well.

Either way your trike has passed an mot.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

My MOT test centre initially asked for a weight cert but took my word for the weight. I am there abouts the 450kg
I'd guess you'd be a fair bit heavier hence the change.It's getting more and more painful to get a ticket and its much the same for the stn's as they keep having to invest in equipment to meet the regs
MOT centre do vary on their flexibility, if you have a choice of stn's give another a go

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

My MOT test centre initially asked for a weight cert but took my word for the weight. I am there abouts the 450kg
I'd guess you'd be a fair bit heavier hence the change.It's getting more and more painful to get a ticket and its much the same for the stn's as they keep having to invest in equipment to meet the regs
MOT centre do vary on their flexibility, if you have a choice of stn's give another a go

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

cheers trikerboy.

Rescuemark I wonder if someone in an MOT centre has listed your trike as in excess of 450kg on their computor and as such you are now in the next class up.

You will not be able to have the class lowered for the nextMOT even if you can prove otherwise. It will be a case of "Computer says NO!"

You've also been paying more for your MOT as well but maybe like me you don't know how much you pay for your MOT each year anyway.

State Wins Again!:whip:

·
Premium Member
3,313 Posts
imported post

goldtop wrote:
...snip... You will not be able to have the class lowered for the nextMOT even if you can prove otherwise. It will be a case of "Computer says NO!"

You've also been paying more for your MOT as well but maybe like me you don't know how much you pay for your MOT each year anyway.
State Wins Again!:whip:
Now there is some bureaucratic nonsense for you! :X Their system is even more screwed up than ours, if that is possible.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Ha. so it's all down to computers and bureaucrats. might have guessed. Being class IV though might mean there are more places I can get it tested.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Soo funny!! The colonists came over the pond "To change everything" about how they wanted to be governed. And now, after all these years..... we are all still in the same boat!!! Our vehicle departments are a "Royal" pain in the rear,too! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

Jinxx

One world, One big C%%K up.

Still in twenty years time can't wait for the MOT test for the Rocket bike! Test the emissions on that with a pipe up the tail pipe!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.