Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hope this forum is ok for this post.

Trike prices are somewhat mysterious to me. Especially when you throw in the idea that you may be purchasing cross country, competing in a crowded market or not have the full understanding of details (gear reverse versus electronic).

I watch prices on ebay and see some patterns in the chaos, but when I see a trike that I think is priced fairly but there are no bids, I'm not sure I can make an informed decision. Am I getting a deal, getting hosed or just confused. Google the topic and it seems like the wild west. Is beauty ($$) in the eye of the beholder?

Any comments or suggestions.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

If you want something you go buy it.

May be able to deal on the price somewhat.

If the price suits you then buy it.

I usually try to buy new to get a warranty.

Buying used there is always a risk.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
imported post

Toestablish a price for a Trike , i personally think you must start with what is the cost for the original bike and then what will it cost for the convert ion.

That should be your basic price to start from, now you can add or deduct subject to the specific trike. (my 2 cents):blackstuff:

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
imported post

If you go by any dealership and ask to see the NADA book there is a section in the book for Trike Conversions. It is not available online.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I have been doing the bike + conversion calculation but did not know how to depreciate the conversion over miles and time. I did not know the trike conversion where in dealer books.

Thanks

·
Trike Master
1,247 Posts
imported post

Basically same % deduction from MSRP for the conversion as the same year Wing.
Find a value for the bike, add the calculated value of the conversion. Consider mileage and condition.
You have, I'm sure, noticed how many trike auctions end w/either 0 bids or reserve not met on E-bay.
An lot of people think their trike is worth a lot more than it actually is. There are also a lot that think by putting a brand new conversion on their well used bike, it will sell at an elevated price, which is not true inmost cases!
Trikes are ever increasing in popularity now but, the economy is hindering this growth some.

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

New, is great It has a warranty,and the price of the new bike + dealer mark up, and the new trike kit and labor to install the kit and taxes ,fees ,and shipping of trike kit to the dealer all in one price. and starting at say 22,000 and up this is just a guess.
Used, its any ones guess ? If the bike is in good condition and its the style make brand model year that you like and wont. with all things working and road ready low miles new tires and battery serviced and fluids changed filters changed front ends serviced bushings and seals, new timing belts new etc, etc, and clean title no wreck repairs or salvage title. and with the 1500 proving over many years that if properly serviced they can go well over 300,000 + miles whats it worth book price or to you to have what you want. well see what dealers are getting for used trade ins they believe their worth way more that the book value most time. because they are in business to make a profit. this is no disrespect to any Dealers or any Brand or item . be it transportation or food or housing or toys Etc. you get the idea. Take all this in consideration when making any purchase. new or used.
Then take the price of trike kit and your labor or theirs .the bike its condition. and your Buying power. and then make your decision.
and this is all a matter of opinion. I had rather spend a few dollars with some one honest in all aspects new or used.
But for anyone that is a used or new dealer that sells trike or trike kits that . thinks that promoting their service or brand over used or new is business . and often will say used with new added is over priced. but try to buy your trade in back from them,you the buyer be the judge, either new or used no matter what product or item it isits your purchase and you are the only one at the end of the day. that needs to be satisfied.

Reactions: Jeff_A

·
Trike Master
1,247 Posts
imported post

Just so everyone knows. There is only 3 "trikes" that have full factory warranty right now. The 2 Harley models and the CanAm.
Conversions have a manufactureres warranty, if installed by an authorized installer. The bike "part" factory warranty or extended warranty MAY be denied for any concern that could possibly be caused by adding the conversion, ie. the entire drive train.
Those that have been covered in the past, where lucky enough to have a dealer do the work that did not report the conversion to the bike manufacturer.
Don't dispare however, I have news that soon there will be warranty coverage available for the bike part of the trike from several dealers around the country. Stay tuned.

·
Trike Master
1,247 Posts
imported post

Lightin wrote:
New, is great It has a warranty,and the price of the new bike + dealer mark up, and the new trike kit and labor to install the kit and taxes ,fees ,and shipping of trike kit to the dealer all in one price. and starting at say 22,000 and up this is just a guess.
1. There are only 3 trikes w/full factory warranty covering the whole unit. the 2 Harley models and the CanAm. (Further explanation in the above post.
2. $22,000 for the conversion is way to high sir! The Hannigan shown in my avatar is priced @ approx. $16K now including adding a rake kit to the bike. This also one of the high-end conversions.
Used, its any ones guess ? If the bike is in good condition and its the style make brand model year that you like and wont. with all things working and road ready low miles new tires and battery serviced and fluids changed filters changed front ends serviced bushings and seals, new timing belts new etc, etc, and clean title no wreck repairs or salvage title. and with the 1500 proving over many years that if properly serviced they can go well over 300,000 + miles whats it worth book price or to you to have what you want. well see what dealers are getting for used trade ins they believe their worth way more that the book value most time. because they are in business to make a profit. this is no disrespect to any Dealers or any Brand or item . be it transportation or food or housing or toys Etc. you get the idea. Take all this in consideration when making any purchase. new or used.
Then take the price of trike kit and your labor or theirs .the bike its condition. and your Buying power. and then make your decision.
and this is all a matter of opinion. I had rather spend a few dollars with some one honest in all aspects new or used.
But for anyone that is a used or new dealer that sells trike or trike kits that . thinks that promoting their service or brand over used or new is business . and often will say used with new added is over priced. but try to buy your trade in back from them,you the buyer be the judge, either new or used no matter what product or item it isits your purchase and you are the only one at the end of the day. that needs to be satisfied.
1. FYI-not one dealer for any kind of a vehicle will stay in business very long not making a profit off of trade-ins.
2. Also, we do not, usually do trade-ins. We do conversions. We have several installation locations around the county. We do not have used trike/bike lots. That ties up to much capital and causes a substantial higher price on the conversions being sold to stay in business!
3. We will do a conversion on your bike to your order. We have a pick up/delivery service. We also have a road crew touring the country doing on sight service.
If you really want a brand new bike converted and want a turn key unit-we can discuss that with you.
Everyone should know that any installer you decide to do business with is going to ask for a substancial down payment before the conversion will be started

·
Premium Member
6,422 Posts
imported post

tfdeputydawg wrote:
Lightin wrote:
1. There are only 3 trikes w/full factory warranty covering the whole unit. the 2 Harley models and the CanAm. (Further explanation in the above post.
2. $22,000 for the conversion is way to high sir! The Hannigan shown in my avatar is priced @ approx. $16K now including adding a rake kit to the bike. This also one of the high-end conversions.
1. FYI-not one dealer for any kind of a vehicle will stay in business very long not making a profit off of trade-ins.
2. Also, we do not, usually do trade-ins. We do conversions. We have several installation locations around the county. We do not have used trike/bike lots. That ties up to much capital and causes a substantial higher price on the conversions being sold to stay in business!
3. We will do a conversion on your bike to your order. We have a pick up/delivery service. We also have a road crew touring the country doing on sight service.
If you really want a brand new bike converted and want a turn key unit-we can discuss that with you.
Everyone should know that any installer you decide to do business with is going to ask for a substancial down payment before the conversion will be started

I did not wish to turn this into a post where you could once again put in a plug for your dealership or trike kits or their services's you so like to doI was simply trying to answer the original posters question the best food for thought I could give.

And about the quote for 22,000 and up was price for new bike and the trike kit at the same time by dealer. there is no dealer in the US that is selling new 1800Goldwing's and The trike kit and installing them and selling new as a unit Trike for 16K get real and read my whole post.

The warrenty I spoke of was in refrence to the new factory bike. not trike unit

which was a comparison in price diffrence between new and used only. so when figureing price of new say.(just a figure not the actal price). 17,000 new bike with warrenty then the price of trike kit and instalation14, 000 total befor tax and fees31,0000

then used trike allredy assembled taged and preowned nicelow milageroad ready out the door for 15,000. and my only point was to weigh the diffrence between the 2 and what you want and can be happy with.

And that's all im going to say on the matter feel free to post about your services or your kits or pick to death what i said or compared never having mentioned you or the dealer in any of my post. but leave me out off it.

·
Trike Master
1,247 Posts
imported post

Sorry to have upset another member. Did you have a bad experience with an installer or is it just me????
Anyway, you stated:
"price of the new bike + dealer mark up, and the new trike kit and labor to install the kit and taxes ,fees ,and shipping of trike kit to the dealer all in one price. and starting at say 22,000 and up this is just a guess."
I thought you meant 22K + the price of the bike, since that's what you typed. My bad sorry.
My 16K is for the conversion, foot fairings, rake kit, rear spoiler, delivered and is high, it could be much lower depending on brand and accessories.
I was also answering the question. If I happen to interest someone in one of the many brands we install, so much the better.
Sorry, if that's not OK w/you. It is OK with the owner of the board who helped w/the our LOGO display.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

tfdeputydawg wrote:
Just so everyone knows. There is only 3 "trikes" that have full factory warranty right now. The 2 Harley models and the CanAm.
Conversions have a manufactureres warranty, if installed by an authorized installer. The bike "part" factory warranty or extended warranty MAY be denied for any concern that could possibly be caused by adding the conversion, ie. the entire drive train.
Those that have been covered in the past, where lucky enough to have a dealer do the work that did not report the conversion to the bike manufacturer.
Don't dispare however, I have news that soon there will be warranty coverage available for the bike part of the trike from several dealers around the country. Stay tuned.
Forgive me sir but you're not contributing to the intent of the thread. Please don't hijack this post. I'm sure you can create your own topic.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

tfdeputydawg wrote:
Sorry to have upset another member. Did you have a bad experience with an installer or is it just me????
Anyway, you stated:
"price of the new bike + dealer mark up, and the new trike kit and labor to install the kit and taxes ,fees ,and shipping of trike kit to the dealer all in one price. and starting at say 22,000 and up this is just a guess."
I thought you meant 22K + the price of the bike, since that's what you typed. My bad sorry.
My 16K is for the conversion, foot fairings, rake kit, rear spoiler, delivered and is high, it could be much lower depending on brand and accessories.
I was also answering the question. If I happen to interest someone in one of the many brands we install, so much the better.
Sorry, if that's not OK w/you. It is OK with the owner of the board who helped w/the our LOGO display.
What does this have to do with a used trike value? An OME motorcycle has all these attributes too, only they have have a, kinda, peer reviewed book value that can be referenced. Your comments are neither salient nor verifiable. The owner of the board may be okay with your content, the poster is not.

·
Trike Master
1,247 Posts
imported post

Post #2 mentioned warranty. I have seen many trikes advertised w/"remainder" of the bike warranty in affect until.....
Thought you and others were interested in the facts of trike values and warranties and anything that could influence your purchase. "Saying" a bike/trike still has remaining factory warranty raises a false value and gives a false impression to a potential buyer that knows nothing about what he's buying.
But, since I have upset you while answering others comments, I will do as you request. No further help on this thread.
Hope you get a good one at a reaonable price.

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

Your question is much like asking "How long is a piece of string?". Different manufacturers, different condition of bike, age, options and more, important the situation of the seller.

In today's economy some sellers are desperate and let things go well below the price they should be selling at. Looking at far away bikes is particularly frustrating because the condition can be in question and the economic territory unknown.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Now my advise, from MY OWN personal experience....I'd buy the kit, and do it myself. There are a ton of installers out there, but only a few "good" ones. All the kits are great. All are super simple to do. But a lazy or money grubbing dealer/installer can make your dream trike a mess. If I had it all to do again, I'd buy the newest bike I could afford, ride it while saving up the cash for a nice kit, and do it myself. There are only a couple hacksaw cuts that have to be done well, and the rest is time consuming, but easy. No flame throwers please! This is just one man's opinion! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

nobbie wrote:
Your question is much like asking "How long is a piece of string?". Different manufacturers, different condition of bike, age, options and more, important the situation of the seller.

In today's economy some sellers are desperate and let things go well below the price they should be selling at. Looking at far away bikes is particularly frustrating because the condition can be in question and the economic territory unknown.
Thanks for the response. How does this differ from evaluating the value of a motorcycle or a car. The situation of the seller is always a factor. As is that of the buyer... Right?

As noted earlier, there are a great number of ebay offerings that do not even get a bid. There is a clear gap that has no real explanation other than the random nature of the market. But then, that's why I asked the question.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

jimsjinx wrote:
Now my advise, from MY OWN personal experience....I'd buy the kit, and do it myself. There are a ton of installers out there, but only a few "good" ones. All the kits are great. All are super simple to do. But a lazy or money grubbing dealer/installer can make your dream trike a mess. If I had it all to do again, I'd buy the newest bike I could afford, ride it while saving up the cash for a nice kit, and do it myself. There are only a couple hacksaw cuts that have to be done well, and the rest is time consuming, but easy. No flame throwers please! This is just one man's opinion! jimsjinx
So you suggest that the installer has merit to the value of a trike. Who would suggest an installer of exceptional merit SIC [your personal business]. Saving $$ is good, but I would not buy a trike that had me as an installer. I'm not that clever.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.