Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, High to all, this discussion is to make steering a little easier. First l have a Trike Kit on rear, l know not a true trike but need some ideas for easier stering. Could get a fork rake replacement but cost is just to much for me. I could put on longer forks, wouldn't by doing that (maybe) give a little rise in front but giving an easier steer? If I was able to do that what forks could l use? Do they make shock extensions? Forgot to mention this is for my 1981 GL1100. Any ideas would be helpful. I dont /want to buy another bike, I am very happy with my ole 81. Thanks

·
Trike Master
1,247 Posts
Your only answer is a rake kit. Longer forks, if you could even find any, would not improve the handling. Out riggers are truly harder to steer than real trikes, although real trikes without a rake kit are pretty hard to steer also. Those that add rake kits do, usually, include extended fork caps which are used simply to level the bike again,

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
Simply installing longer fork tubes will raise the front end … and in doing so will lay the imaginary line through the steering stem closer to horizontal … and will in fact increase trail and required steering effort … this assuming no changes in the rear ride height.

Installing shorter fork tubes will steepen that angle of that imaginary line as the front of the bike drops … assuming no change at the rear … making for slightly easier steering and a quicker response to turn into a corner, but this is limited as the ground is getting closer.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts