Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm looking for a pair of tires for my trike. Anyone know where I can get a pair in Canada? They are 205/70/14 (2 ply tread and 1 ply sidewall) What's on now are "Grand Spirit Aqua Flow".

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

You have a local Canadian tire store, they have tires in your size. I would go with a heavier rated tire if it were my trike.
Canadian tire
[*]202 Buchanan Drive[*]Charlottetown, PEC1E 2H8

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Thats an easy size tyre to get, fairly common. Over here some trike owners buy the commercial grade that are fitted to vans and other commercial vehicles. They last longer and take more abuse, harder to puncture too because of the extra rubber.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

Heffo wrote:
Thats an easy size tyre to get, fairly common. Over here some trike owners buy the commercial grade that are fitted to vans and other commercial vehicles. They last longer and take more abuse, harder to puncture too because of the extra rubber.

Wow "Heffo"! Are the roads that bad? The extra weight and stiffer carcass makes a less flexible tire and harder, more unforgiving ride. Roads that need that extra rubber "armour" would be pretty rough I think. I'm not arguing, but really question your roads now after reading that?

:shock2:

That looks like a CSC Trike in the pic "Learning anew"? I know that some manufacturers used "rain" tires to minimize chances of hydroplaning in heavy rain / water. The front tire will not likely hydroplane as it's contact is so small and those larger car tires will hydroplane earlier as their patches are bigger and "pounds per square inch" are much less.

The Codovan Grand Spirit Aqua Flow GTX 205/70-14 standard car tire is plenty stout I think, it's rated: A traction / Atemperature / 380 tread wear. It's not an expensive tire as tires go these days. A trike carries maybe300-400 pounds on each rear tire, weight transfer in cornering increases it to maybe 600 on the outside. Those tires carry much more weight in their intended application on a car, which is why you only run 20-25 PSI max.

Goodyear / Michelin / etc all have "rain" type tires as well as more conventional all season and touring type tires in that size. 205/70-14 sized tires are not as popular as once they were but there are still plenty of cars that use it so the size wil be around a long long time yet. Tirerack shows only 5. though.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=205%2F&ratio=70&diameter=14

I personally love the B F Goodrich Radial T/A tires and some members here use the Michelin Harmony, though in a 60 aspect ratio on a 15" wheel.

On my Lehman based trike which has slightly lower rear gearing I expect and taller 15" rear wheels, I went from Lehman's supplied Dunlop Qualifier GT 245/60-15 tires to 215/70-15 Lemans SR Radials (same tire as Firestone Indy 500, --- both made by Bridgestone/Firestone North American Tire, LLC ) which I have been real pleased with.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

I don't have a tricycle and I hope I never have to resort to one to keep riding.
(Note that I didn't sayI wouldn't.)

But, It makes perfect sense to me that a tire that performs well in rain would be my choice. You are using tires with a wide profile with very little weight on them. This is like a perfect storm for hydroplaning. The custom of using wide wheels and tires on tricycles is for fashion. Practicality would dictate that a rear tire much more like the tires that the darksiders use would actually perform better.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

FeButter wrote:
I don't have a tricycle and I hope I never have to resort to one to keep riding.
(Note that I didn't sayI wouldn't.)

I hope you don't "have to resort" to it either. It's a different ride, it has it's own peculiarities, and it has it's perks as well.

But yeah, I agree on the wider tires.

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

I run 215 45 17s at around 12psi had them on when I bought the trike 3 years ago and haven't noticed any wear,
The only traction problem I ever had was riding around in snow when the rear wheels were in the tracks and the front wheel was riding the slush in the middle, but I never said I was clever.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.