Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have read alot of comments about a Goldwing motorcycle and the amount of wieght it can pull safely. Is there any difference in trailer wieght behind a Goldwing trike?

·
Registered
899 Posts
This is an interesting thread. Honda does not recommend towing a trailer, and has no specs regarding what a Gold Wing can safely tow. Converting a two wheel Gold Wing is essentially the same, there is no towing weight by the company for the conversion. If the Gold Wing in question is converted while under warranty, Honda may and has voided the warranty because the Gold Wing in question is no longer what the company produced from the factory.

IMO, the company that does the conversion would have to have the bike in question certified by MOT/DOT to have a tow rating, or provide you with document(s) certifying what the bike conversion is certified for.

I researched the towing capacity of conversions versus ready made trikes/reverse trikes. The only manufacturer that has a rated towing capacity for its bikes is BRP Spyder models, possibly the Ryker models as well. The Spyder models have a 400 pound towing capacity, and the company sells the trailer, hitch and harness for towing.

HD manufactures a trike and does not have a towing capacity, or no info that I have been able to find.

Having mentioned the above, towing a trailer, car tires, and GVW rating can be contentious issues. Your insurance company should be consulted regarding these issues. You should not "assume" that all will be well just because you can.

Just a few thoughts.

Good luck.

Reactions: Nitrowing

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
62,593 Posts
IMO,
the safe weight level will be below 50% of the weight of the bare bike, not the weight of the riders.

a lot of folks install Electric Brakes on the larger tent trailers and they haul them with impunity.

my trailer is made of wood, and weighs about 300 lbs empty, and I carried about 300 lbs of gear and tools, plus an Ice Chest that would hold 20# of ice.. I used that for my Phase Change cooling vest, mix of ice and water.... push Ice Vent into the mix, and 20 minutes later it is ready for another 2.5 hours of use in 100* temps

·
Premium Member
2012 GL1800
928 Posts
A lot has to do with how the hitch is attached to the bike. Though Honda does not recommend pulling a trailer, it can be done within certain limits. There are many hitches for the Goldwing, but I know of only two that totally connect to the main frame. Bushtec and Rivco, are 4 point main frame hitches. These are for two wheel bikes only. The others use the subframe, which is a weaker connection point. I pull a Binkhouse camper that weighs about 500lbs loaded. I keep my tongue weight below 40lbs.
You will have to contact the trike maker to find out what the limits on tongue weight and trailer weight are.

·
Pwhoever
3,463 Posts
I have a California Sidecar Viper trike and I had them add the optional hitch during the conversion. I remember seeing the install of this in the instructions but can't seem to find it right now. IIRC, it said to use a maximum tongue weight of 50-60lbs. The trike weighs in about 1200lbs by itself. Using that it gives about a 350-600lb towing ability. So this falls right in line with what @AZgl1800 mentions about using the 50% of bike weight as a guide to how much trailer should weigh to pull safely. With that said, I have many times pulled my Aspen Classic camper with no issues. It originally had electric brakes but long story, never connected them up and it no longer does now. I never felt an issue or unsafe pulling that. I had also pulled that several times before I did my trike conversion as well. It feels way more comfortable using it with the trike setup but did both.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts