Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Pwhoever
3,181 Posts
Actually they used to make trikes many moons ago. The trikes they used to make were the 3 wheeled off road trikes and they were involved in many accidents and lawsuits as a result. They were deemed to be unsafe. That is the reason why they no longer make them now. IIRC, they are actually prohibited to make them or wont for liability reasons.

·
1,715 Posts
Actually they used to make trikes many moons ago. The trikes they used to make were the 3 wheeled off road trikes and they were involved in many accidents and lawsuits as a result. They were deemed to be unsafe. That is the reason why they no longer make them now. IIRC, they are actually prohibited to make them or wont for liability reasons.

View attachment 324285
I had the "pleasure" of trying one of these sometime in the 80's. A friend had one and I was allowed to test ride it on his country estate.
"Scary" is a good word - it was very fast and required a driving technique that I did not have even though I was used to motorcycles and motocross machines.

·
Administrator
26,529 Posts

View attachment 324285
I had many days of good fun on those. The problem wasn't the machine, it was the idiots who rode them. They are pretty valuable these days.

Reactions: Pwhoever

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had the "pleasure" of trying one of these sometime in the 80's. A friend had one and I was allowed to test ride it on his country estate.
"Scary" is a good word - it was very fast and required a driving technique that I did not have even though I was used to motorcycles and motocross machines.
I meant the Goldwing trikes. I sold farm products and the farmers always wanted to take me to the field on one of the scary rigs!!

·
Pwhoever
3,181 Posts
I meant the Goldwing trikes. I sold farm products and the farmers always wanted to take me to the field on one of the scary rigs!!
What happened with these ATC's is the reason why you probably wont ever see factory produced Goldwing trikes. Only after market conversions. But aftermarket trikes I have seen started about with the GL1200. If there are any previous models out there, they are probably one off customs. The aftermarket GL trikes seemed to gain popularity in the 1500 models and many different ones to choose from in the 1800. So I guess the answer would be mid to late 80's for Goldwing trikes...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What happened with these ATC's is the reason why you probably wont ever see factory produced Goldwing trikes. Only after market conversions. But aftermarket trikes I have seen started about with the GL1200. If there are any previous models out there, they are probably one off customs. The aftermarket GL trikes seemed to gain popularity in the 1500 models and many different ones to choose from in the 1800. So I guess the answer would be mid to late 80's for Goldwing trikes...
Thanks that answers my questions. Are the older aftermarket trikes conversions a good item? I even see a few 1980-1985 for sale..I am new to this and don't want to buy something that is junk, I .Just want a few more good years of riding without a ton of spending,

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,747 Posts
I would buy the newest one you can afford...if it has been maintained, of course. Parts for the older 'Wings can be hard to find, and conversion parts may be impossible to get.

Harley does sell new HD Trikes.

·
Administrator
26,529 Posts
Thanks that answers my questions. Are the older aftermarket trikes conversions a good item? I even see a few 1980-1985 for sale..I am new to this and don't want to buy something that is junk, I .Just want a few more good years of riding without a ton of spending,
I rode 2 1200 trike conversions. Neither one I felt safe over 30mph. 88 model 1500 was the first with reverse so I wouldn't want one without that.

Reactions: Hank the Crank

·
Registered
2 Posts

View attachment 324285
OUr lawsuit happy people have gone out of their way to destroy too many things, when it was operator error or lack of training or just acting like a fool

·
Premium Member
4 Posts

View attachment 324285
They had so much torque they would flip over backwards if you grabbed too much throttle. The old man had one at his deer lease.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts