Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every trike I see has a M/C tire on the front, most all have C/T's on the back, never had a trike, don't want one, but you'd think it was a given, just asking, what's up with that?? :wtf: ??

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Probably won't fit on the narrower front wheel and under the narrower front fender. I'd have one on the rear of my 1200, but it won't fit. Motorcycle tire comes within a 1/16" inch of hitting the swing arm on the right.

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
953 Posts
Probably won't fit on the narrower front wheel and under the narrower front fender. I'd have one on the rear of my 1200, but it won't fit. Motorcycle tire comes within a 1/16" inch of hitting the swing arm on the right.
+1

+Why trike a Wing? Why not just lay on the porch with your bowl?:ROFL:

Sorry, Trike Folks, couldn't resist!.....

I'll be there eventually.....

·
Just one of the guys
4,837 Posts
I have not found a Car Tire that will fit the front of the 1500. I do run a Motorcycle rear Bridgestone on the front. It gives good traction and better wear than a tire designed for the front.

As for those who make snide remarks about Trike Riders, I get tired of hearing it. I'll trade hips and lower back with you for a couple of months then see if you sing a different tune. When you can't get your foot off the peg at a stop sign because the Arthritis has your hip locked up and you go over a few times you find having the option of a trike a blessing.

·
Trike Master
1,266 Posts
1. There are no CT's available that will fit the front wheel of a Wing.
2. There are currently 2 front conversions available that allow the install of a car tire.
1 is by Eurowing, the other is just out by Hannigan. The cost of both is in the ridiculous range.
A lot of trikers are running a rear tire, reverse rotation on the front and getting approx. 25,000 miles on them.

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
As for those who make snide remarks about Trike Riders, I get tired of hearing it. I'll trade hips and lower back with you for a couple of months then see if you sing a different tune. When you can't get your foot off the peg at a stop sign because the Arthritis has your hip locked up and you go over a few times you find having the option of a trike a blessing.
:claps:

I have MS. For now I am riding on two wheels but when my MS gets too bad that I do not have the strength in my leg hold up the bike, I will switch over to a trike. Several years ago, I gave up a bike when I was diagnosed with MS and I regretted it. I will never do it again. It doesn't matter what you ride, it only matters that you ride.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
Darkside convert

Jerry H...

This spring I mounted a BF Goodrich 155-80-15 on my 84 1200 and was greatly surprised with the amount of tire clearance... I have over 400 miles on the tire and overall I'm pleased with the results...My tire shop guy had no problem getting the tire on the rim... had a fit getting the tire to seat, he used 2 different types of tire grease to seat the tire on the rim...:claps:

Regards, C Trooper

Attachments

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
but I ain't just talking about Wings, there's Factory Harley trikes and retrofit Honda's even Yamaha's and Kawasaki's.

After spending the small fortune it takes to trike something out, why skimp on the front end? I mean, you guys are relying on that $#!T to not roll you when some ID10T cuts you off on the freeway, ain't that the reason they did away with 3 wheel ATV'S and the Bombardier Can Am took off so much???

And this thread was not started to denegrate trike riders.

Just so's you know !!!!!!! :?

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
Most trikes use a rear M/T on the front rim, this is considered a front darkside and gives themn a much stronger front tire for the weight that has been added to it, plus twice the tread wear depth for a much longer life too.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
Pictures?

1. There are no CT's available that will fit the front wheel of a Wing.
2. There are currently 2 front conversions available that allow the install of a car tire.
1 is by Eurowing, the other is just out by Hannigan. The cost of both is in the ridiculous range.
A lot of trikers are running a rear tire, reverse rotation on the front and getting approx. 25,000 miles on them.

tfdeputydog - you wouldn't have any pictures of the custom car tire rim conversions would you? I've got a sidecar on my GL1500 and sure think it could (badly) use wider rubber up front.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
One would think some company would make a front trike tire. And I also gave up riding, due to arthritis, for 20+ years. I was too stubborn,(spelled stupid), to ride "one of those hippo lookin' trikes." I missed alot of good riding years. Trust me, you are better off on a trike than giving it up completely, in my book. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
1200 Darkside convert

Just an update on my journey to the "Darkside", 2500 miles so far, the tire did take some getting used to especially in slow tight turns... I really like the way the tire handles on gravel, very little jumping from side to side and it holds in heavy gravel nicely... after several adjustments to air pressure in shocks and tires, the bikes floats down the road now... I can still hear/ feel the buzz from the tire in a turn, but since I don't hear all that well its not a issue... the Mrs. really likes the feel and the ride, makes for longer trips...eventually will try a tire with a rounder shoulder profile.... tire in questions is a BF Goodrich 155-80-16
:)

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Another thing to consider is that the rear tire does not turn from side to side like the front tire does, the rear only leans over!

I'm not sure how steering would be on a trike with a car tire on front even if you could use one. Maybe ok, maybe not.
Trying to turn a big fat wide flat bottom tire with a standard trike front end might be an effort.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
My bad..

tire in questions is a BF Goodrich 155-80-16...

OOops, my bad, meant to say BF Goodrich 155-80-15:ssshh:

4200+ miles this summer.... still very happy with the tire... handles nicely on all surfaces...the Mrs. is happy with the ride as well....

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
+1

+Why trike a Wing? Why not just lay on the porch with your bowl?:ROFL:

Sorry, Trike Folks, couldn't resist!.....

I'll be there eventually.....
Or because some of us have disabilities that prevent us from riding 2, so we do 3.

Some day I may get to ride 2 again

Attachments

·
Premium Member
505 Posts
I put a avon sidecar tire on my wife's trike on the front of her 81 yamaha I triked for her. Its alittle wider than a regular m/c tire but flat like a car tire. so far really good, handles nice, less road noise, still playing with tire pressure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.