Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all, its the damn Harley guy again with another question for you GW guys.:cooldevil:

I was woundering your personal pros and cons about riding a GW trike. I am considering switching to a GW and perhaps a trike cause there are times I tow a 300 lb trailer (Time-Out). Thought a trike may pull with less jolting on bumps.

But even if you do not tow, please give me your imput on your trike experiances. How does it handle , are long rides comfy, what do you like and dislike about your GW trike? Please be honest, its a huge investment for anyone thinking of going to an extra wheel.

Thanks so much. Mudslinger

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

I'm sure others will chime in later. I don't have a trike but have ridden several and have many friends that do. The few that I have ridden I have enjoyed. They were comfortable and easy to ride. My friends love their trikes. One friend has a Harley Trike conversion and he likes his really well too. I may be a trike owner one day if I get to the point I am unable to ride two wheels anymore. Good luck!

Bernie

·
Premium Member
1,847 Posts
imported post

not being a trike owner the goldwings are mile munchers and the trikes are equally so, i travel regularly with trikes and they have no problem power wise and comfort wise, in my opinion you cannot get a better trike for the job.

The only thing i would say is consider braking the trailer especially a heavy one.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

I love my trike. Converted it and never thought different or looked back. The power is still there, handling is there. Not to be compared to two up. It is as Irecently found out very strong and safe when it comes to getting hit. It handles the mountains very well. I do not pull a trailer, as I have 7 cubic feet plus the existing trunk. If you do convert, I would suggest at least a 4.5 degree rake with the triple tree for almost power steering. I must confess that I did customize the rear end, by adding another 1 1/2 inches to each side 3" overall. Tire is right out to the fender. Gave me a little more stance, no wider overall just in the wheelbase. I like turning fast and figured it could not hurt while I was converting. :action:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

I tow a 500+ pound trailer with my 1800 with absolutely no problems. You really do not need to trike the wing. I will trike mine if and when I can't hold it up any longer. Hopefully that will be a very long time. I like the look of trikes. Pretty cool. Just not for me at this time.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

I had my 07 GW triked a year ago. Since then I have put about 20k miles on it. I love it. Yes sometimes I miss the nimbleness of a two wheeler but for the riding I do I would never go back. I started hauling an Escapade trailer earlier this year and you never would know it is there.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

w7zr wrote:
I had my 07 GW triked a year ago. Since then I have put about 20k miles on it. I love it. Yes sometimes I miss the nimbleness of a two wheeler but for the riding I do I would never go back. I started hauling an Escapade trailer earlier this year and you never would know it is there.
Thats fantastic to know.Because I do know my Time-out is behind me on the two wheeler. My buddy with his GW1800 says he feels the Time-Out also, his wing is two wheels.The traileris not aerodynamic and weights 300 lbs without our gear.

I noticed you don't have Pennsylvania colored in yet on your map, Give me a shout before you come up here, PA. has some great places to ride.

·
Premium Member
732 Posts
imported post

Hello Mudslinger,

I haven’t seen anyone field your “how does it handle” question yet specifically regarding bike (2-wheel) vs trike handling.

I would want to know that before I switched, because it is significantly different. With one bad knee already, I too may soon approach the time when I will need the third wheel.

So, I’m going to take a shot at a handling comparison, keep it as technically accurate as I can, and hopefully not offend anyone in the process! Here goes…

Because a 2-wheeled bike countersteers and leans into corners, you feel like you cause the bike to move, that you move with it, and are an actual integral part of it. (Not like you are sitting on it and separate from it, which you really are.)

The physics of a trike’s steering and handling are completely different. As a result, you feel more like the trike moves you and that you are more separate from it than you feel on a 2-wheeled bike. More like you are sitting on something and riding it, than a part of it. You will notice more that your body is being pushed to the outside of corners because the bike can’t lean in. You will also be jostled from side-to-side when the rear suspension negotiates bumps and rough roads, etc. This is just the simple physics of the two different vehicle configurations.

Don’t be surprised when, on your first trike ride, you try to push down and out on the right handlebar to initiate a right turn and find yourself going left instead! (It will only take once or twice to break you of that habit.)

The thing that my wife likes least about a trike’s ride is that side-to-side jostling that is absent on a 2-wheeled bike. Be that as it may, we may be on one sooner or later! I think probably that long-term trikers just don’t notice that anymore after a while.

Others with more knowledge on current trike rear suspension designs may chime in here regarding the pros and cons of one type vs another. There are handling differences between the IRS rear suspension designs and the more solid axle type designs.

One other thing to consider is the affect that the weight of the load (passengers, baggage, and trailer tongue weight) has on trike handling. My wife and I are both physically small, so we don’t add much of a load to a trike. A stiffly sprung vehicle rides more smoothly as the load increases. Pulling a trailer seems an ideal task for a trike.

That’s my best shot at it. I hope I haven’t upset any trikers out there. I’ll be glad to have one sometime “down the road”. (Pun intended!)

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
imported post

I have never been on a trike, but last summer, while in Redlodge, Mt I was talking with a guy that was on a beautiful GL1800 Trike. (They are really sharp looking IMO.) He was asking me if I had had any problems with my 1800 over heating. He said that going over Beartooth pass was a problem for him because the climb was causing it to over heat.

I don't know if this is a common problem on Goldwing trikes, or if it was just his. Is this a common problem?

I have two bad knees and short legs. I love to ride so someday I may be looking at trikes also. Not yet!

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

WingMan71 wrote:
Hello Mudslinger,

I haven’t seen anyone field your “how does it handle” question yet specifically regarding bike (2-wheel) vs trike handling.
Thanks for your thoughts on handleing. I realize there has got to be a huge difference in the feel with a 3rd wheel. But like you said , the trike riders may be accustomed to it. I am curious if it is annoying not leaning into turnsor if trike riders miss the "feel" of a 2 wheel.
That’s my best shot at it. I hope I haven’t upset any trikers out there. I’ll be glad to have one sometime “down the road”. (Pun intended!)
Iwould rather see somone upset at the truth then for the truth to be disregarded. Thanks again for your thoughts:clapper:

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

clpete wrote:
I have never been on a trike, but last summer, while in Redlodge, Mt I was talking with a guy that was on a beautiful GL1800 Trike. (They are really sharp looking IMO.) He was asking me if I had had any problems with my 1800 over heating. He said that going over Beartooth pass was a problem for him because the climb was causing it to over heat.

I don't know if this is a common problem on Goldwing trikes, or if it was just his. Is this a common problem?

I have two bad knees and short legs. I love to ride so someday I may be looking at trikes also. Not yet!
Sounds like a start of a good topic.... think I'll start it for you. thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Over heating is very unusual even for a Trike.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.